• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I’d like to crop and post an audio file from Merlin off my iPhone. (1 Viewer)

Is there a way to do this please?
I mean obviously there is, but the internets answers relate to android phones.
Have you downloaded the audio onto your iPhone (from the Merlin app) or are you streaming the audio and wish to capture it?

If the audio file has automatically downloaded onto your phone then it'll be in a default location - these 'locations' can be hard to find.

If you locate it then you can edit within your phone's audio app.

Another way to capture an audio recording is to stream (play) the file directly from the app whilst simultaneously having an audio recorder app open recording that audio - the audio recorder should capture what is being played.

If the audio recorder doesn't capture what is being played then you need to change its settings for its source recording.

Once captured, you can then edit it as usual within the audio app and then copy/move/upload the file.

And another way is to capture the recording on another phone (iPhone or android) or recording device (laptop audio device) and go from there - the only caveat being that the audio quality will be drastically reduced, but if that isn't a problem then.

If I'm telling you how to suck eggs and you have the file but cannot crop it then feel free to send it to me and I'll have a look/listen (y)

Have you downloaded the audio onto your iPhone (from the Merlin app) or are you streaming the audio and wish to capture it?

If the audio file has automatically downloaded onto your phone then it'll be in a default location - these 'locations' can be hard to find.

If you locate it then you can edit within your phone's audio app.

Another way to capture an audio recording is to stream (play) the file directly from the app whilst simultaneously having an audio recorder app open recording that audio - the audio recorder should capture what is being played.

If the audio recorder doesn't capture what is being played then you need to change its settings for its source recording.

Once captured, you can then edit it as usual within the audio app and then copy/move/upload the file.

And another way is to capture the recording on another phone (iPhone or android) or recording device (laptop audio device) and go from there - the only caveat being that the audio quality will be drastically reduced, but if that isn't a problem then.

If I'm telling you how to suck eggs and you have the file but cannot crop it then feel free to send it to me and I'll have a look/listen (y)
Not suck eggs as such......but your points re valid! after reading your post i suppose the question i really need to ask is......where does merlin store the audio files on my iphone? i can do the rest from there

Reason being the app said common redstart, however i think its more likely to have been the standard tseep of chiffchaff/willow when they arent actually singing.

This is how you do it in Android. Presumably iOS is very similar.
1. Open the recording in Merlin.
2. Immediately under the sonogram, on left, is a SHARE ICON: tap it.
3. Select a file manager app, and save the recording (as .WAV) wherever you like.
4. Edit in a sound editing app.
Thus, you don't need to know where Merlin stores the files.

Not suck eggs as such......but your points re valid! after reading your post i suppose the question i really need to ask is......where does merlin store the audio files on my iphone? i can do the rest from there

Reason being the app said common redstart, however i think its more likely to have been the standard tseep of chiffchaff/willow when they arent actually singing.
As Butty suggests, it may a simple process as with Android.

Make sure you have a audio editing app installed.

If that doesn't help then you will have some sort of file management system, which will hold the recordings in a folder - if this folder can't be found then possibly do a phone search for the downloaded file name and go from there?

If you wish to transfer any audio files to a laptop/external device to work on then here's a link for doing that -

And when you do do it - make sure to post how you did it so other Merlin iPhone users can use that same method (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back