• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I’m loving my year old 7x35 Retrovids! (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

It’s been over a year since I bought these wonderful bins, and now, well into the day to day use and not hyper-evaluating everything, I appreciate them more and more.

Leica gets slammed by some on their resistance to evolve, but the flip side of that is Leica has a signature view that many of us love. I have to assume that if it was possible for them to significantly increase the FOV or reduce CA, without losing that Leica signature view, they woul have done it long ago. These 7x35s are sharp edge to edge, with a big clear image framed by a very sharp field stop. They make me smile every time I put them up to my eyes.

I've been using my old 7x35 porros a lot and they're making me realize I just don't like rubber on my binoculars. They go from the padded case to my hands or neckstrap and the rubber is not a welcome addition. It makes them heavier and takes away from the elegant feel of the instrument. I like the way Habicht still come with or without rubber, I wish all the "alphas" were like that.

btw these Retros' have an 8 degree field - that's actually pretty large. I don't feel the need for more :)(y)

Loving mine too.

Coming from the SF's and EL field pro's I was a little underwhelmed by the view at first and couldn't really see the ' delicious ' leica contrast initially either. But after using them a few days in varying conditions they started to weave their spell and they completely clicked.

A lightweight and compact 7x32 or 7x35 is the perfect all day walking and birding configuration as far as I'm concerned and they are few and far between to say the least. I've been hugely impressed by the cheap Hawke marine 7x32, the sharpness on my sample is phenomenal but they have their limits and are not that bright, especially for woodland use, whereas the leica's really light up the canopy and make everything sparkle.

The retrovid focuser is wonderfully smooth, one of the best I've known. I was also surprised by the close focus, I've not measured it but it seems much better than the stated 4m, certainly zero problem for my usage.

I love the SF 8x42 but they are very long and rather cumbersome for a day wandering the woods and fields and I sometimes find the brutally sharp, bright and flat view of the 8x32 field pro a bit clinical and fatiguing after a while, plus they are still quite big for a 32. The little Curio 7x21 had a beautiful view but I never felt my sample was as sharp as I like, plus they have a really annoying hang and I don't actually need anything that tiny.

The retrovid in effect replaces all three for my purposes. It might not have the overall optical horsepower of the SF or EL but to combine the relaxed exit pupil of the SF 8x42 in a much smaller and a bit lighter ( and far more elegant ) package than the EL 8x32, whilst being almost (just as?) sharp and bright but in a much more relaxing 7x 35 way is quite a revelation. They are really about as compact as I need too ,therefore for me replacing a curio 7x21 or a Zeiss pocket 8x25.

The only real downside is the lack of full waterproof and fog proofing. It's a bit disconcerting to not know quite what they'll withstand. I shan't be immersing them or washing them under a tap but they'll definitely be used in the rain, though I'll use the rain guard and pop them under my jacket in heavy rain.
I wonder what actually makes them ' splash waterproof ' rather than just not waterproof at all? It's all a bit vague and uncertain. With waterproof bins you just use them in the pouring rain without concern or with an Eii say you know not to. With the retrovid you are left a bit uncertain where the dividing line is.

Anyway, fantastic bins.

Loving mine too.

Coming from the SF's and EL field pro's I was a little underwhelmed by the view at first and couldn't really see the ' delicious ' leica contrast initially either. But after using them a few days in varying conditions they started to weave their spell and they completely clicked.

A lightweight and compact 7x32 or 7x35 is the perfect all day walking and birding configuration as far as I'm concerned and they are few and far between to say the least. I've been hugely impressed by the cheap Hawke marine 7x32, the sharpness on my sample is phenomenal but they have their limits and are not that bright, especially for woodland use, whereas the leica's really light up the canopy and make everything sparkle.

The retrovid focuser is wonderfully smooth, one of the best I've known. I was also surprised by the close focus, I've not measured it but it seems much better than the stated 4m, certainly zero problem for my usage.

I love the SF 8x42 but they are very long and rather cumbersome for a day wandering the woods and fields and I sometimes find the brutally sharp, bright and flat view of the 8x32 field pro a bit clinical and fatiguing after a while, plus they are still quite big for a 32. The little Curio 7x21 had a beautiful view but I never felt my sample was as sharp as I like, plus they have a really annoying hang and I don't actually need anything that tiny.

The retrovid in effect replaces all three for my purposes. It might not have the overall optical horsepower of the SF or EL but to combine the relaxed exit pupil of the SF 8x42 in a much smaller and a bit lighter ( and far more elegant ) package than the EL 8x32, whilst being almost (just as?) sharp and bright but in a much more relaxing 7x 35 way is quite a revelation. They are really about as compact as I need too ,therefore for me replacing a curio 7x21 or a Zeiss pocket 8x25.

The only real downside is the lack of full waterproof and fog proofing. It's a bit disconcerting to not know quite what they'll withstand. I shan't be immersing them or washing them under a tap but they'll definitely be used in the rain, though I'll use the rain guard and pop them under my jacket in heavy rain.
I wonder what actually makes them ' splash waterproof ' rather than just not waterproof at all? It's all a bit vague and uncertain. With waterproof bins you just use them in the pouring rain without concern or with an Eii say you know not to. With the retrovid you are left a bit uncertain where the dividing line is.

Anyway, fantastic bins.
From my understanding the Retros are water resistant because they are sealed well with o-rings. The eyecup don’t screw up and down, they use a sleeve and they pull up and down so there’s no gaps. A little rain or snow really can get in. But is not gas filled to protect from water immersion, like dropping them in water. By the way , I wonder how many times people have dropped their binoculars in water. I’ve boated for 30 years , and used binoculars every boating outing , Ive waded through water waist deep , white water rafted and never once dropped my binoculars in the drink. I wish I could say the same for my mobile phone. 😉🙏🏼

Paul

It’s been over a year since I bought these wonderful bins, and now, well into the day to day use and not hyper-evaluating everything, I appreciate them more and more.

Leica gets slammed by some on their resistance to evolve, but the flip side of that is Leica has a signature view that many of us love. I have to assume that if it was possible for them to significantly increase the FOV or reduce CA, without losing that Leica signature view, they woul have done it long ago. These 7x35s are sharp edge to edge, with a big clear image framed by a very sharp field stop. They make me smile every time I put them up to my eyes.
I am with you on this...a huge fan of this 7x35 binocular. I know there are times I say I want 'another' , just because...but then I say, why? I saw on Ebay there was a real nice copy of an original 7x35 Leitz and was tempted but then I started looking into it and the newer version is so much improved. So, I have my new retro and have had it close to a few years now and wouldn't trade it. It is my go to, my main bin.

Like many on this forum....I have had a 'personal problem' of trying out, purchasing...trading in etc...binoculars thru the years. The overall experience has just made me appreciate the 7x35 that much more. When I ponder an idea of another binocular purchase, I always return to my 7x35 and say, why? What am I really going to do with a binocular beyond what I have in the 7x35. I have a 10x42 NV for shore birding and Hawk watching....but for my daily grind? I have two excellent Opticrons (7x36 classic and a 8x32 Verano) that fill in for my travel bins otherwise the 7x35 simply works.

I like these 7x35’s so much I think I’d like the 8x40.
I have absolutely no doubt about that, I preferred mine to my 7x35, they had that 'just right' feel about them, both optically and mechanically, and I could use them for hours without so much as a hint of fatigue.

My 7x35’s I never felt as much love for, they weren't as perfect a fit for me and the focus wheel movement was far too stiff. Maybe that made me a little bias, because the focus movement in my 8x40's was perfect, and I never gave the 7x35’s an equal chance.

But that's all water under the bridge, I did 'a Dennis' when an 8x42 Ultravid Silverline to HD+ specification came up for sale at the right price, and my Retrovids made way for that purchase (with a considerable chunk of change in the bank). No regrets, but I did love those 8x40's (which are the copy on sale at Ace Optics in Bath for £1099).

Like many on this forum....I have had a 'personal problem' of trying out, purchasing...trading in etc...binoculars thru the years. The overall experience has just made me appreciate the 7x35 that much more. When I ponder an idea of another binocular purchase, I always return to my 7x35 and say, why? What am I really going to do with a binocular beyond what I have in the 7x35. I have a 10x42 NV for shore birding and Hawk watching....but for my daily grind? I have two excellent Opticrons (7x36 classic and a 8x32 Verano) that fill in for my travel bins otherwise the 7x35 simply works.
similar experience here - I seem to find my 7x35 Nikon E in my hands more than any other binocular, which is crazy, they cost $130 plus the money I later spent getting them re-greased. I have far more expensive and better quality 42mm binos. I even have the 7x35E-C with upgraded coatings and I use the older one more, probably because it's 10% lighter. Or maybe because I subconsciously don't want to hurt the super-expensive ones :)

I think the minimalist, lightweight form - without rubber - is something that wins out over time. So is 7x35. It's a little more horsepower than 30-32mm and the lower magnification works better for close-to-medium range birding IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back