• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few quick thoughts, 7X35 vs. 8X32 (3 Viewers)

Could be that Swarovski thinks the NL's narrow pupil sweet spot for glare is good enough (it has been good enough for me since I found it, but obviously not everyone does find it.) I've noticed since then that almost all binoculars will show some glare if the eye is positioned too far from the eyepiece, but some have wider pupil sweet spots than others, so they get fewer complaints. Checking about 12 of my binoculars that I remembered as being good against glare just now I found that only one was truly glare free in the test setup I used for any pupil distance from the eyepiece: a Canon 10x32 IS.
That is a big advantage of the Zeiss SFL. They have a bigger optical box or what you call wider pupil sweet spots, so it makes it much easier for eye placement and avoiding glare.

"One of the signature features of these Zeiss SFL binoculars is how forgiving the eye box is. By “forgiving” I mean that they give you a fair amount of “cushion” concerning the placement of your face/eyes in relation to the eye cups in order to get a full and complete field of view without having those annoying black spots. In this regard, the Zeiss SFL binoculars offer one of the most forgiving eye boxes on the market today. Because of this, the viewing experience is remarkable because you aren’t in a constant fight trying to avoid black spots as you move across hillsides glassing for animals.

Eye box forgiveness is something not often talked about in terms of binocular features, but when a binocular’s eye box is not forgiving, you notice. A perfect example of this is the Swarovski NL Pure. These are some of the most impressive binoculars we’ve ever tested at Backwoods Pursuit, and are the top performers in our review. Personally, I’ve been using them for a couple of years now, and they are fantastic. However, their eye box is not very forgiving, which can be frustrating at times when they move slightly out of the “sweet spot” in the eye box making you fight black spots in the field of view."

A 7x35 Ultravid HD+ wouldn't be much different than the 7x35 Retrovid. There is not a lot of noticeable difference in Leicas between the Trinovid BN, Trinovid, UVHD and UVHD+. I had the Retrovid 7x35 the same time I had the UVHD+ 7x42 and when I compared them there honestly wasn't a hill of beans difference between the two. You can compare the older Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN and the UVHD+8x32, and you won't notice much difference outside the fact that the UVHD+ will be a tad brighter.
Dennis, in case you've forgotten I used to retail sports optics from when the Trinovid BAs came out to the Ultravid HDs so handled and used many, many items during that period. The killer for me is quite simply the narrow furled focusing knob of the early Trinovid / Retrovid compared to the lengthier, broader integrated systems. Yes, it's an ergonomic feature but such a major one ( for me ). And you've put aside another important point, individual preference - a key factor every time. No?
One can compare all the data in the world till the cows come home, but if you pick em up, look through them whilst testing and they don't feel or handle right, why would you buy them? Because they have 0.01 % better **********. and so and so rated them better!
IMO a 7 x 35 Ultravid would be immense, for me......but I repeat myself. And preferable to a Noctivid.
Pass.

Last edited:
Dennis, in case you've forgotten I used to retail sports optics from when the Trinovid BAs came out to the Ultravid HDs so handled and used many, many items during that period. The killer for me is quite simply the narrow furled focusing knob of the early Trinovid / Retrovid compared to the lengthier, broader integrated systems. Yes, it's an ergonomic feature but such a major one ( for me ). And you've put aside another important point, individual preference - a key factor every time. No?
One can compare all the data in the world till the cows come home, but if you pick em up, look through them whilst testing and they don't feel or handle right, why would you buy them? Because they have 0.01 % better **********. and so and so rated them better!
IMO a 7 x 35 Ultravid would be immense, for me......but I repeat myself. And preferable to a Noctivid.
Pass.
I was talking optics not ergonomics. Ergonomics are important, though. I never had a problem with the focusing knob on the Retrovid, but I know little details like that can be deal killers. Sometimes I think we do get too tied up with optics on Bird Forum when ergonomics can be even more important. In choosing between the SFL and the MHG, I would gladly pay the extra $800 just for the better placed, more fluid focuser on the SFL.

I was talking optics not ergonomics.
Perhaps you were, but the opening thread and first paragraph by an experienced user, refers to both - ie, the bigger picture, and a complete comparison of both formats. Technical jargon, charts, transmissions etc are part of a review as is colour, finish, materials etc.
I remember when the Zeiss FLs first came out they got a hammering because the tubes were made from a type of "polycarbonate".... I can't exactly recall, rather than a metal or alloy.

Sadly some folks get so hooked up with research and figures, their minds get scrambled as a result.

Regards, Pat

That is a big advantage of the Zeiss SFL. They have a bigger optical box or what you call wider pupil sweet spots, so it makes it much easier for eye placement and avoiding glare.

"One of the signature features of these Zeiss SFL binoculars is how forgiving the eye box is. By “forgiving” I mean that they give you a fair amount of “cushion” concerning the placement of your face/eyes in relation to the eye cups in order to get a full and complete field of view without having those annoying black spots. In this regard, the Zeiss SFL binoculars offer one of the most forgiving eye boxes on the market today. Because of this, the viewing experience is remarkable because you aren’t in a constant fight trying to avoid black spots as you move across hillsides glassing for animals.

Eye box forgiveness is something not often talked about in terms of binocular features, but when a binocular’s eye box is not forgiving, you notice. A perfect example of this is the Swarovski NL Pure. These are some of the most impressive binoculars we’ve ever tested at Backwoods Pursuit, and are the top performers in our review. Personally, I’ve been using them for a couple of years now, and they are fantastic. However, their eye box is not very forgiving, which can be frustrating at times when they move slightly out of the “sweet spot” in the eye box making you fight black spots in the field of view."
You and the guys at Backwoods Pursuit are not talking about the same "sweet spot" idea as the one in my post, which refers only to a pupil distance behind the eyepiece that is free from glare, not kidney beaning or any other pupil discomfort. Unlike glare, I don't find those other things to be a problem that requires any sort of especially critical eye placement when using the NLs.

Last edited:
If forced to name my favorite binocular reviewer on Birdforum, Chuck would most likely be it, or certainly top 2 or 3. So it is with some trepidation that I charge in to this conversation.

I‘ve owned the 735 Retro for a week. I've written of an unrequited lust from seeing my very first roof prism binocular, a Lietz Trinovid in an optics shop in Hanover, NH in 1970. They were just gorgeous, the view mind boggling. Just out of the military, newly married, hoping to start a career, with no money to spare, I thought "some day, I'll own this binocular."

In the hand, to the eye, these are as beautiful as I remember. This kinda Steve Jobs approach - wrap the functionality of a thing into a beautiful package, that brings joy just to look at, own. For me, these promise that.

Im not sure where Chuck's weight chart came from. I checked those numbers against B&H, as well as the manufacturers themselves. They're a bit different. Perhaps he weighed them. I did. Well, I weighed 2. My NL832 with RYO, ocular and objective covers all on board and the Retros, naked, (no carry strap or covers) weighed the same!

Chuck compared the Retro's FOV with UVHD+832 and commented he didnt notice much difference, using the factory published data @ 1000 yds(?). But 12' becomes 1.2' at 100, more like where I bird with an 8 or 10X bino, so not surprising. The NL 832 real FOV combined with its 65 AFOV does provide I think, a nicer more open view. That's a plus for the Swaro.

The focuser on the 735 I received was not the slickest mech I've experienced. I'm usually not bothered by slower focusers, prolly cause I'm used to them, but the effort required to move the focus knob on this example combined with the slower focus was not to my liking. I found it hard to find the sweet spot having to push so hard while needing to rotate so much to find it. The NLs win here, against this sample, easily.

The optical quality, in the center of the view, the only region I actually care about, was very close between these two. What was missing, (I know this will be controversial, and I bet Chuck will get it), the optical negative, is 7X. The difference in the appearance of this autumn's herd of Teal, Shovelers, Wigeons, Pintails swimming about, was small enough. But when I focused on some tight details with a bit of texture at 50 yards, I first thought the Retros weren't as sharp, clear. After a bit, I began to realize it was the difference between 7 and 8X. Not terribly significant, but it was there. As my birding is waterfowl, shore birds, raptors, I love 10X. Context matters. That is beginning to change after last summers focus on slow birding in dense forests searching for the smaller birds found there. I was sort of thinking these might be the thing for that role. Compared against my VP825 for that? Not so sure. Today, for migrating waterfowl against the 832 or 1042? The image is good, not better. The package?

I wondered about the 5mm exit pupil of the 735 vs the 4 of the 832. Against a pale grey 5 story concrete wall with fading blue sky above, mid afternoon, I do think the Leica was a tad brighter. I'd love to see how it prevails peering into the overhanging grasses that cover the curved mud bank mid tide where a bit of light gathering helps find a scurrying Ridgeway Rail..

Many have written here about depth of focus and how 7s are superior in this regard. I spent some time going between these, my 8s and 10s staring out the window at stuff near, 15’ or so, and further out to 45 yards. Peering out at Morning Glory and Passion flower vines, my neighbors roof, the Kaiser wall and a California Buckeye, there was lots of stuff at varying distances small and large. If there was a material difference in depth of focus, I couldn't see it. But to fine tune focus I had to fight the wheel.

Re glare, I saw glare in the Retros, the same as I did in my NLs looking at a place where there was glare to be seen. And like with the NLs, I didn't stick around to admire it, I changed my viewing position, changed my hold, checked if my head was erect, noticed whether the ocular was up against my glasses or tipped away. Whatever was required, glare was managed in both.

CA? Nah, nadda, zip, please.

Ergonomics? This was probably the decider for me. While I love looking at the Retro, its optics are good… enough, it still has to handle. And this for me was its shortcoming. My hands wanted more room and one less sharp object, (the strap boss) to deal with. The focuser was a drag, required too much moving about to find leverage that wouldn't move the binocular. In this comparison, with this sample, the NL won hands down. Could I imagine it might become something I'd grow to enjoy with more time? Perhaps. I'd need to change where and what I bird for though. Would I rather have the $1200. in my pocket? Well there’s other stuff to try.

Back to Chuck. I now need to get my hands and eyes on the UVHD+832. Will it work with my new eyeglasses? What might it do that compliments or betters what I already own and have bonded with?
Hey Tom,

I really hate you weren't crazy about the 7X35. I think it's such a neat little binocular. I really liked it instantly and it still grew on me! I'm perplexed about about focus as my two Retrovid copies(7X35 and 8X40) are two of the best I have. They are a little slow admittedly just like me at times!

I completely understand why you tend to like 8X and above as far as magnification goes. My birding is mostly close and in the spring and summer the woods are thick.

How was the ER with the Retrovid?

If forced to name my favorite binocular reviewer on Birdforum, Chuck would most likely be it, or certainly top 2 or 3. So it is with some trepidation that I charge in to this conversation.

I‘ve owned the 735 Retro for a week. I've written of an unrequited lust from seeing my very first roof prism binocular, a Lietz Trinovid in an optics shop in Hanover, NH in 1970. They were just gorgeous, the view mind boggling. Just out of the military, newly married, hoping to start a career, with no money to spare, I thought "some day, I'll own this binocular."

In the hand, to the eye, these are as beautiful as I remember. This kinda Steve Jobs approach - wrap the functionality of a thing into a beautiful package, that brings joy just to look at, own. For me, these promise that.

Im not sure where Chuck's weight chart came from. I checked those numbers against B&H, as well as the manufacturers themselves. They're a bit different. Perhaps he weighed them. I did. Well, I weighed 2. My NL832 with RYO, ocular and objective covers all on board and the Retros, naked, (no carry strap or covers) weighed the same!

Chuck compared the Retro's FOV with UVHD+832 and commented he didnt notice much difference, using the factory published data @ 1000 yds(?). But 12' becomes 1.2' at 100, more like where I bird with an 8 or 10X bino, so not surprising. The NL 832 real FOV combined with its 65 AFOV does provide I think, a nicer more open view. That's a plus for the Swaro.

The focuser on the 735 I received was not the slickest mech I've experienced. I'm usually not bothered by slower focusers, prolly cause I'm used to them, but the effort required to move the focus knob on this example combined with the slower focus was not to my liking. I found it hard to find the sweet spot having to push so hard while needing to rotate so much to find it. The NLs win here, against this sample, easily.

The optical quality, in the center of the view, the only region I actually care about, was very close between these two. What was missing, (I know this will be controversial, and I bet Chuck will get it), the optical negative, is 7X. The difference in the appearance of this autumn's herd of Teal, Shovelers, Wigeons, Pintails swimming about, was small enough. But when I focused on some tight details with a bit of texture at 50 yards, I first thought the Retros weren't as sharp, clear. After a bit, I began to realize it was the difference between 7 and 8X. Not terribly significant, but it was there. As my birding is waterfowl, shore birds, raptors, I love 10X. Context matters. That is beginning to change after last summers focus on slow birding in dense forests searching for the smaller birds found there. I was sort of thinking these might be the thing for that role. Compared against my VP825 for that? Not so sure. Today, for migrating waterfowl against the 832 or 1042? The image is good, not better. The package?

I wondered about the 5mm exit pupil of the 735 vs the 4 of the 832. Against a pale grey 5 story concrete wall with fading blue sky above, mid afternoon, I do think the Leica was a tad brighter. I'd love to see how it prevails peering into the overhanging grasses that cover the curved mud bank mid tide where a bit of light gathering helps find a scurrying Ridgeway Rail..

Many have written here about depth of focus and how 7s are superior in this regard. I spent some time going between these, my 8s and 10s staring out the window at stuff near, 15’ or so, and further out to 45 yards. Peering out at Morning Glory and Passion flower vines, my neighbors roof, the Kaiser wall and a California Buckeye, there was lots of stuff at varying distances small and large. If there was a material difference in depth of focus, I couldn't see it. But to fine tune focus I had to fight the wheel.

Re glare, I saw glare in the Retros, the same as I did in my NLs looking at a place where there was glare to be seen. And like with the NLs, I didn't stick around to admire it, I changed my viewing position, changed my hold, checked if my head was erect, noticed whether the ocular was up against my glasses or tipped away. Whatever was required, glare was managed in both.

CA? Nah, nadda, zip, please.

Ergonomics? This was probably the decider for me. While I love looking at the Retro, its optics are good… enough, it still has to handle. And this for me was its shortcoming. My hands wanted more room and one less sharp object, (the strap boss) to deal with. The focuser was a drag, required too much moving about to find leverage that wouldn't move the binocular. In this comparison, with this sample, the NL won hands down. Could I imagine it might become something I'd grow to enjoy with more time? Perhaps. I'd need to change where and what I bird for though. Would I rather have the $1200. in my pocket? Well there’s other stuff to try.

Back to Chuck. I now need to get my hands and eyes on the UVHD+832. Will it work with my new eyeglasses? What might it do that compliments or betters what I already own and have bonded with?
Thank you Tom, I for one I’m very happy you cleared it up and that we can put the CA in Leica’s and Glare in NL nonsense behind us, and don’t have to read anymore posts about that.

First thing , if your favorite magnification is 10x and you get by with 8x, then it’s kind of understandable that 7x doesn’t do anything for you, even more so if you don’t see that DOF difference. With that being said I do read into the fact that you do like the genre of the old styling, fit and finish. May I suggest you try the 8x40 Retro, that may cover some bases you seem to fault the 7x35, it has more to hold onto and it gives you the 8x while preserving the retro styling and optics. I’m not sure what the 8x32 UV would do for you that the NL doesn’t and it has even less Realestate to hold onto. If it’s that Leica image you want in the retro package then the 8x40 (one with a good focuser) would seem to check more boxes for you.

One other thing , based on your description I don’t believe that you have a good representative focuser. The three that I’ve used were butter smooth and relatively light. I’d say that it’s one of the things I fell in love with about these binoculars.

Paul

Tomorrow is the last day of a ten day, eastern Montana “wildlife viewing” trip. During this trip I am searching for and observing game up to two miles away, so I thought my 10x42 SEs would be the cat’s meow. Problem is we hike six to ten miles a day over rough terrain, so a more compact binocular is welcome. I brought three pair with me, the aforementioned SEs, my 8x42 Ultravids and the 7x35 Retrovids. After the first day I’ve used the 7x35s exclusively, and fallen more in love with them each day. I especially love the smooth focus and feel of that smallish, knurled knob. The view is sublime and so easy to get a nice clear, full view.

Hey Tom,

I really hate you weren't crazy about the 7X35. I think it's such a neat little binocular. I really liked it instantly and it still grew on me! I'm perplexed about about focus as my two Retrovid copies(7X35 and 8X40) are two of the best I have. They are a little slow admittedly just like me at times!

I completely understand why you tend to like 8X and above as far as magnification goes. My birding is mostly close and in the spring and summer the woods are thick.

How was the ER with the Retrovid?
Yea, me too. I wish I had loved it more. Was jonesing for a NBE experience. Ha! These are totally cool to look at and the "sense" of quality is surely there. The ER was fine, even back with glasses now, (do to double vision thing.) I wrote about the focuser hopefully in a way to be clear it was I suspect the sample I received, as I know you, Paul and John all had a different experience. Slow is and would've been fine, if the stiffness wasn't there. I would've pursued that with an exchange, if the other pieces had fallen into place. I was surprised to discover the Retro naked would be heavier than the NL naked, or they were the same weight with the good stuff on board the NL. Thats more an on paper thing though as Im not a weight weanie. The fit to my hands was the more frustrating thing. And 7X.

Ill think about the 8X Paul. Tho as i recall the short focus was a little longish. I have place where I need 15' or a bit less. The recovering gearhead in me suspects these may be the kind of collectible we all hope to find, a thing that goes up in value do to its coolness, short lifespan, limited production numbers. Time will tell.

Yea, me too. I wish I had loved it more. Was jonesing for a NBE experience. Ha! These are totally cool to look at and the "sense" of quality is surely there. The ER was fine, even back with glasses now, (do to double vision thing.) I wrote about the focuser hopefully in a way to be clear it was I suspect the sample I received, as I know you, Paul and John all had a different experience. Slow is and would've been fine, if the stiffness wasn't there. I would've pursued that with an exchange, if the other pieces had fallen into place. I was surprised to discover the Retro naked would be heavier than the NL naked, or they were the same weight with the good stuff on board the NL. Thats more an on paper thing though as Im not a weight weanie. The fit to my hands was the more frustrating thing. And 7X.

Ill think about the 8X Paul. Tho as i recall the short focus was a little longish. I have place where I need 15' or a bit less. The recovering gearhead in me suspects these may be the kind of collectible we all hope to find, a thing that goes up in value do to its coolness, short lifespan, limited production numbers. Time will tell.
Now that it’s discontinued, I’m thinking about the 10x40. I’m pretty set on six, seven and eight power binoculars, but the SE is my only ten. It seems like it could be a nice, trim ten power with Leica optics.

Now that it’s discontinued, I’m thinking about the 10x40. I’m pretty set on six, seven and eight power binoculars, but the SE is my only ten. It seems like it could be a nice, trim ten power with Leica optics.
John seems you may have the affliction to. Thinking in sets being one of the symptoms... That said, guy cant have too many 10s. Well sure he could.

During this trip I am searching for and observing game up to two miles away, so I thought my 10x42 SEs would be the cat’s meow. Problem is we hike six to ten miles a day over rough terrain, so a more compact binocular is welcome.

Interesting ... I think the 10x42 SE is reasonably lightweight myself, but I guess if you are hiking that distance, over rough terrain, plus carrying other stuff, it might not be. I wouldn't be the only one who would like to see a photo of your binoculars with the terrain you're using them over in the background, I'm sure.

NB. wasn't Jack O'Connor's favourite binocular supposed to be a lightweight 7x35 (B&L Zephyr)?

Interesting ... I think the 10x42 SE is reasonably lightweight myself, but I guess if you are hiking that distance, over rough terrain, plus carrying other stuff, it might not be. I wouldn't be the only one who would like to see a photo of your binoculars with the terrain you're using them over in the background, I'm sure.

NB. wasn't Jack O'Connor's favourite binocular supposed to be a lightweight 7x35 (B&L Zephyr)?
Thanks for the reply 😊. The 10x42 is light but bulky, typical for a porro. The Retrovid might actually be heavier, but so sleek and definitely lighter than the UV NV. I think you’re right about Jack O’Connor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back