• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I cant afford quality feed any more (1 Viewer)

jlpicard

Long time feeder. I have suet for creepers and woodpecker, black oil for perchers, and platform for everyone else including squirrel s. I put out a couple tuna cans of hulled sunflower seeds into the platform daily and it gets gobbled up. Six months ago I paid $79 for 50 lbs of hulled sunflower. Today I went to reorder and price is now$129. Is there an alternative?

I realise this is an old thread, but I noticed the title, and it struck home with me. I know how you feel.

I have been feeding a low to medium quality black oil sunflower seed in two of my feeders and Safflower Seed, both by Wagners, in one of my feeders. My songbirds love both, and they go through a 25 lb bag of the sunflower seed in a little over a month---I replenish the feeders daily.

The price of the 25 lb. bag of sunflower seed is now well over $40 a bag, and whilst that may not seem expensive to a lot of people, I am a retired senior, and my budget is not as flexible as it was years ago. I have not found a better alternative to the Wagners, though. I used to feed an higher quality seed from the Wild Bird Store until it closed down a few years ago, but I could no longer afford to feed it at the rate my birds eat anyway. Until/unless the price drops on the seed, I am going to have to feed them less each day than I normally would do. You might try the Wagners, but be prepared for the clean up as the Wagner's seed is not hulled, and the hulls go everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back