• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have no idea what I'm doing (2 Viewers)

BigDumb

United States
I also know absolutely nothing about binoculars.
So long story short, I thought I was adjusting them and then boom
This happened:
pic of disaster attached
Apparently there are some really cool prism things in here. Which is new and something on YouTube or somewhere that I was trying to find some type of information that I understood mentioned dry nitrogen???? WHAT??
So I guess I said all of that to ask, how bad is it?
Figured someone here would know.

Attachments

• 20220901_013130.jpg
    20220901_013130.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Hi BigDumb and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry to hear about your broken bins. We have a dedicated Binocular section, so I've moved your post to the Bushnell subforum there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Big and welcome.

A write off.

I presume the binocular was dropped onto a hard surface.

The binocular seems to be a low price item.

12x32 is certainly not ideal for bird watching or much else.

Next time try an 8x32 or 8x42.

One could return the binocular to Bushnell and perhaps they will replace it free if you get them on a good day.

At least you can look inside a roof prism binocular to see how it works.

Front objectives to gather light, prisms to erect the image, eyepieces to examine the image formed by the objectives, and focus control plus dioptre control to correct for different eye prescription.

Regards,
B.

Perhaps.

To Bushnell.

Dear Sirs,

Unfortunately our cat jumped on the table and knocked the enclosed Bushnell 12x32 binoculars on to the floor.

I don't know much about binoculars.

Could you please advise as to how these can be fixed.

Yours sincerely,

John Smith

Hi Big and welcome.

A write off.

One could return the binocular to Bushnell and perhaps they will replace it free if you get them on a good day.

Front objectives to gather light, prisms to erect the image, eyepieces to examine the image formed by the objectives, and focus control plus dioptre control to correct for different eye prescription.

Regards,
B.
It wasn't dropped. I was twisting it because on some adjustment instructions online it said something like pulling that part out if you don't wear glasses. And I guess this particular model doesn't have that feature so I actually just pulled it off 😖

Perhaps.

To Bushnell.

Dear Sirs,

Unfortunately our cat jumped on the table and knocked the enclosed Bushnell 12x32 binoculars on to the floor.

I don't know much about binoculars.

Could you please advise as to how these can be fixed.

Yours sincerely,

John Smith
Heh I like it.
Thanks!

Hi Big and welcome.

A write off.

Regards,
B.
Hey thanks. Sounds like you really know your stuff guess I definitely came to the right place. Thanks for such quick responses everyone!

Hi BigDumb and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry to hear about your broken bins. We have a dedicated Binocular section, so I've moved your post to the Bushnell subforum there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks!

I also know absolutely nothing about binoculars.
So long story short, I thought I was adjusting them and then boom
This happened:
pic of disaster attached
Apparently there are some really cool prism things in here. Which is new and something on YouTube or somewhere that I was trying to find some type of information that I understood mentioned dry nitrogen???? WHAT??
So I guess I said all of that to ask, how bad is it?
Figured someone here would know.
Don't be too hard on yourself. This assembly is only held onto the body with two, maybe three, tiny grub screws gripping into plastic.
It really doesn't take much effort for it to come apart. It is however, easily reassembled by a binocular repair man. Whether it is worth the expense is the question. If the binocular has sentimental value, then maybe. My workshop charge would be £38 plus return postage. Hope I'm allowed to say that on this forum.

Hi @BigDumb This binocular has no twist-up eyecups so not possible to adjust that way to use with spectacles. You should simply fold down the rubber part of the eyecups to use with spectacles.

I have the 8x20 model and it is hardly usable. I hope your model is better with bigger eyecups. I am interested to know your use experience about this particular model. However, if you are planning birdwatching in long term, I would suggest you to buy something bit expensive. In this regard Vortex diamondback is a good choice and provide lifetime warranty in US.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back