• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need some advice. (2 Viewers)

Well the canon 300mm f2.8 is often heralded as one of their sharpest and best lenses - it works very well with the 1.4TC with almost no loss of quality at all - and works very well with the 2*TC.
Its possibly a little short without TCs for general birding around the countryside - but a a great wildlife in general lens 0 and the ability to go up to 600mm on a good day is a good bonus.
The sigma 500mm (whilst I can't comment on quality) might be a better aim if you primarily do only wild birding - since it is giving you the focal range that you will most find yourself using.

hi overread, i am going to go for the Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens, as I do wild birding all the time I think the 500mm at f4.5 will be a good lens to go for. I will have to sell a few Items though. Im thinking about selling the 400D together as a package with the 100-400mm & the 18-55mm lens with a few bits & bobs, batteries, camera bags, etc. But the thing Is the 500mm Is £2.5k maximum, I dont really know how much I would get for the lots I am selling. They are all In very good to excellent condition. I shall put a post on the for sale forum or exchange for a 500mm f4.5 (you never know)...... Thanks for your post.

Sean..

Don't forget to budget for a good tripod and head. The big primes need decent support when out in the field. If you're working from a hide a beanbag works fine

Paul

Sean (Canonman 77) Selling the 400D and the 18-55mm I would not discourage you from doing - but consider long and hard about the 100-400mm though. If you have a good copy of that lens then its a really good one to hold onto - though in the end if you find your 150-500mm does you better for usage and quality then lose the 100-400 - just don't rush for the new lens and sell of kit that in a few months time you will be missing - I know what it is like to lust after longer lenses but patience can be worth it :)

Paul also raises an important point - I think longer lenses like the 500mm primes need expensive and good heads - the wemberly (very expensive) is often the head of choice for many for the longer and heavier lens - important to consider as a 500mm prime might only be handholdable for so long before your arms tire

Good decision Sean, I have read nothing but good comments on the Sigma 500. There are loads of user reviews on Fred Miranda and just about all are positive.

hi guys, compared to canon 500mm primes, the sigma Is well worth the 2.5k, i will get it from warehouse express, save up the 1.5k & then do the other thousand on 12months Interest free finance, as for hand-hold ability i will be in hides most of the time & as for a good tripod & head, at the moment i use a very sturdy VELBON DV-7000 & use a MANFROTTO 322RC2 joystick head, which as a max load weight of 5kg. If I could ask you, does anybody know what the sigma 500mm Is like without OS & what Its like on dull/cloudy days being a f4.5... Anyhow I shall be selling the 100-400mm L & 400D with some other bits & pieces, just hoping I can get roughly 1.5k & then Sigma here I come...

Cheers guys...
Sean..

I really wouldn't rush this Sean. Sigma 500mm f4.5s do come up secondhand for between £1000-1500 and at that price are a flipping good buy (mine was ;) )
I'd stick with what you've got for now, decide which is best between the 100-400 and 150-500 ( I know which I'd keep alongside a 500mm prime & it wouldn't be the 150-500)and sell the one you like least, whilst looking out for a 500mm f4.5.

Just a thought

Paul

hi, i forgot to add, whats the Sigma 500mm f4.5 like when on a 40D?

Sean...

Check out Tom Melton's shot here taken with the 40D and Sigma 500mm. I was with him at Gigrin a few days ago and he seemed happy with the combination. The only drawback can be adding a TC with that combination when I understand that you lose the ability to AF on the central point. Buying the Canon 500mm f4 you wouldn't have that problem but your bank balance would have a larger hole in it - LOL.

HI, Ive just listed my 100-400mm & other bits & pieces on a very popular auction site which Is 4 letters long, begins with E & ends with Y. I will be using the funds to purchase a Sigma 500mm f4.5.. Thanks for all your comments on differnet lenses, but for what I need It for It will suit my needs, which will be for shooting out of Hides resting on a beanbag, I also have a good sturdy tripod setup with ball head In case I need It.. I think with my budget the 500mm Is a very good choice & from the reviews & sample Images, looks pretty damn good.

Thankyou.
Sean.......

Why list yout stuff on Edgy.com?
there is another bigger auction site that if far far better if you surf around a bit you will find it ;)

Good luck!

The 400 f/5.6 is a great lens and if you have good light to keep up a high shutter speed, handheld no IS is not a problem. I have the 100-400 for those situations where I need more flexibility, and mostly use my 500 f/4 for bird shots, including BIF (on a sturdy Gitzo tripod with Wimberly head.) However, I kept my 400/5.6 because it is really such a great lens and I've actually found it very useful for photographing hummingbirds in flight. When used with extension tubes you can get even closer to your subject. The attached photo is an example, it was done using a tripod because of the difficulty of being so close and having to find the subject quickly in a small field of view.

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 63
The 500 is a different beast to shorter lenses due to it's weight and requirement of a sturdy tripod and head so you are doing a completely different type of bird photography. You will have to be prepared to always lug that lot around, casual shooting is out! I would keep the 100-400 for it's versatility for both casual wanderings and other subjects and save up for your big prime. The prime plus 100-400 would complement each other very well.

I find the Sigma 150-500mm copes just as well as the 100-400mm & It allows me a longer reach. So when I get the Sigma 500mm f4.5, I shall have the Sigma 150-500mm HSM OS as well, which I think Is a cracking lens & not at all far behind the 100-400mm In sharpness, although Its heavier, I have no problem handholding It & sometimes stick It on a Monopod.

To me one of the advantages of the 100-400 paired with the 500 is that the 100-400 offers easy hand held portability and flexibility. To me it wouldn't make sense to have two heavy lenses to deal with, unless I were to get something like the 600 f/4.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back