• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'I salute, I spit, and I count down from 10' (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Someone so superstitious must have some kind of mental condition, surely?! That's got some of the hallmarks of OCD.

If not, I can't believe someone would believe such stupidity in this day and age, let alone that those people are then given jobs as BBC journalists!

Apparently extends to non-eurasian magpies too (assuming that's an Australian white-back in the photo??)

I think the article is slightly tongue in cheek

They're a rarity in these parts...... so I like them!... i get all excited going into Glasgow and spotting the first one (for sorrow........!)

Last edited:
Loads around here. Used to hate them but now just like watching them.
I have seen a few single out a young magpie and just kill it. No obvious reason. Thats why I didn't like them, but what the hell it's nature.

Hi Folks,

Many years ago the government ran an information/advertising campaign against thieves and sadly (to me anyway) used Magpies as villains of the piece obviously because of their fascination for collecting brightly coloured shining things. I think the headline/punch line was "Thieving Magpies" and the association stuck. Sorry I don't know how else to put that.

There is also a rhyme or saying that I cannot remember properly, something like One for Joy, two for sadness, old people were supersitious and I remember my grandparents chanting it on drives out in the countryside if we saw Magpies.

I often have two eating here and they do not seem to cause the small birds any concern. A few year ago I had one with a bad leg stay around he obviously found my bird seed and nuts I threw a few on the ground for the Jays an easy source of food. I love the colours of their feathers, they are striking birds.

Ann :egghead:

Last edited:
One for sorrow
Two for joy
three for a girl
Four for a boy
five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told............................

Aye Aye Cap'n

.......................Because one is for sorrow..... if you ever see one on it's own, you're supposed to say "Aye aye Cap'n"

Or if you're a bit camp "Hello sailor!"

Many years ago the government ran an information/advertising campaign against thieves and sadly (to me anyway) used Magpies as villains of the piece obviously because of their fascination for collecting brightly coloured shining things. I think the headline/punch line was "Thieving Magpies" and the association stuck.

Rossini's opera The Thieving Magpie dates from 1817; so the association is at least a little older than your information/advertising campaign!

Hi Tom,

Thank's for reminding me about the opera.

I still think the tv campaign reinforced the "thieving magpie" image as it reached a wider audience who believed what they saw, before magpies were just another bird to a lot of the population if they noticed any.

Quercus, Thanks for the rhyme I never was any good at learning poetry when at school and country folk were so superstitious about everything, there will be a library somewhere full of books with all the old sayings in.

Ann :egghead:

.......................Because one is for sorrow..... if you ever see one on it's own, you're supposed to say "Aye aye Cap'n"

Or if you're a bit camp "Hello sailor!"

My sister insists on clapping to ward off the bad luck. One clap for each Magpie. A bit disconcerting when she's driving down the motorway.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back