• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland gull? - Aberdeenshire, UK 3.5.21 (1 Viewer)

Andy Strachan

Scotland
For the last few days I've been going through thousands of photo's catching up on sorting them into keep and delete. I stumbled upon some with a flock of gulls that I believe has an Iceland Gull in it. This is at Boddam, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire - 3rd May 2021.
Not great pictures though. What do you think?
Funny thing is I didn't find my first ever Iceland Gull until almost a year after these photo's! :LOL: I just never even looked at these images. When I did find my first it was in this same area.

Attachments

• DSC_1361 (2).jpg
    DSC_1361 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC_1364 (2).jpg
    DSC_1364 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
  • DSC_1365 (2).jpg
    DSC_1365 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC_1366 (2).jpg
    DSC_1366 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
That would be my vote. It's noticeable that a) it looks like an adult from the bill and b) there are some darker feathers in the wingtip. I've seen a bird very like this around Aberdeen in recent years (maybe the same one).
I’m now seeing the bill pattern (computer screen rather than phone) and would tend to agree with you - particularly if there has been a leucistic bird in the area.

That would be my vote. It's noticeable that a) it looks like an adult from the bill and b) there are some darker feathers in the wingtip. I've seen a bird very like this around Aberdeen in recent years (maybe the same one).
After posting it crossed my mind that it may be a leucistic bird but I would never of been able to tell from the pictures anyway. Thanks guys for your opinions, definitely an interesting one. Shame it's not a clincher!

Don’t know what the odds might be regarding Leucistic Herring Gull v Iceland Gull at the locality?
That said, the bill looks yellow-ish?
From what I can see, the feet look to be a deeper pink red than the surrounding gulls?

Regarding “dark” feathering in the wings?…I can only discern a faint small tint of buff in the starboard wing certainly not “dark?”
I’m also seeing a “faint” streaking band in the tail, am assuming this is a 3rd year gull, with the mantle starting to “grey up”.

Perhaps those that are au fair with Larus might like to comment.

Cheers

I said darker rather than dark. A key difference between Iceland and leucistic Herring:
Iceland: wingtips are the palest part of the wing.
Leucistic Herring: wingtips are usually the darkest part of the wing.
In the last photo, the gull has some darker brownish feathers in the primaries and these are darker than the rest of the wing.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back