• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Icy Strait, Alaska (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
A friend has just messaged me from Icy Strait, where they went for a walk. She recorded a song on her phone and uploaded it to an ID app (don't know which one).

They came up with these four species:

Golden-crowned Kinglet
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Pacific Wren
Townsend's Warbler

She hasn't sent me the recording (not that I'd know how to handle it to download here. There's a small bit showing a sonogram (I could copy that over if you think it would help).

Can any of them be eliminated, or any more likely? I know it's a long shot!

No, LOL... just thought I'd surprise her of my cleverness if any could be eliminated!!

OK thanks Nartreb.... so I won't be looking clever, after all LOL

My Armstrong guide to Alaska lists the Townsend Solitaire as rare in southeast Alaska in spring, the other three species are common. The calls of the three common birds are distinctly different. You might still be able to make an ID. The kinglets almost always call from the top of a spruce tree or other conifer up here in my experience, and they tend to call a lot without relocating. Chickadees tend to move about more and aren’t as likely to take a tree top perch, though they do often enough. The wren I would expect to call from the ground. Maybe you can try to see if your friends can tell from what elevation the call came.

Thanks so much for that Joe. I'll ask her.

Ah! It was a Townsend's Warbler, not T. Solitaire - just had to go check LOL. Does that make a difference?

Oops, my bad - Townsend's Warbler is also common in Alaska's southeast in spring. So, another possibility to sift through.

Two completely different birds. The warbler is listed as "fairly common" in my book. In its summer range it tends to be found at the tops of conifers -- which doesn't help much vs the kinglet or chickadee.

Don't know if it's any use at all... looks even worse to me this morning through sleep-deprived eyes!

BF Sonogram.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back