• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from Georgia, Woodstock (US) (1 Viewer)

ignicapilla

Romania
Hello, I was wondering what these two birds are, to me they seem to be two different species. Apologies for the poor quality.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 18.04.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 18.04.02.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
cowbird (probably female) was my impression of the top bird as well. Bottom bird seems to have a different tail shape. There's a trident shape that at first glance looks like crossed primaries like you often see in goldfinch, but the primaries are visible higher up the bird. I think the bottom bird is growing new tail feathers.

Very hard to be confident as I can't make out any detail of color pattern, but my instinct is that these are the same species.

my instinct is that these are the same species
Can't be: the bills are very different.
There may perhaps be confusion from misreading of the photo, particularly re. the lower bird: the position of its feet shows that it is being seen from side-on and slightly in front, so its head is nearer than the branch (not from below and behind, with head further away than the branch, which might be an alternative reading).

Bottom bird seems to have a different tail shape. There's a trident shape that at first glance looks like crossed primaries like you often see in goldfinch, but the primaries are visible higher up the bird. I think the bottom bird is growing new tail feathers.

Very hard to be confident as I can't make out any detail of color pattern, but my instinct is that these are the same species.
The new tail feather on the bottom bird isn't too long for a goldfinch. I have a hard time reconciling it's bill and size with a cowbird, but I'm far from confident about anything

My impression is that the lower bird has its head turned away from the camera, hiding the basal half of the bill. I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back