• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id help please. Sparrow or thrush or something else? Ottawa Ontario, early July, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, attached are two not very informative photos but perhaps (as too often happens) I am missing a salient detail. I was thinking fox sparrow due to the tail colour and that I think I saw (and perhaps in the first photo can see) a sparrow's beak. Habitat was a city park ravine.
Any advice, comments or ideas on what this bird is would be much appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• DSCN4310.JPG
    DSCN4310.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN4311.JPG
    DSCN4311.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
If it is a fox sparrow, it's well out of its typical range. The swamp sparrow is much more common in Ontario and has a similar tail. Did you by chance hear it?

Thank you for taking the time to look at these photos and for your comments. Unfortunately it was silent for the brief time it was in the bush. I had thought fox sparrow, as compared to song sparrow, by the length and colour of its tail,but that would be most unusual, as mentioned by Harrier22, in Ottawa in July. Swamp sparrow is interesting, though the habitat would be a bit odd I think - while there was a ravine it was not really a moist area. And the tail does appear long.
Interesting to consider swamp and song, which means I need to pay more attention to the birds I see:)
Another not clearly identified I guess.
Thank you very much for the ideas, which I will use in future, especially when i look at song sparrows, which are very common in the area.
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back