• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help: Various locations Western USA (1 Viewer)

Westmidstraveller

Fledgling Birder
I would really appreciate your help in IDing the following birds.

The first picture was taken in Kolob Canyon (Zion National Park). It was close to a Western Scub-Jay, could it be a juvenile or is it something completely different.

The second was taken in Rocky Mountain National Park, is it a Hairy Woodpecker?

The third, again taken in Rocky Mountain National Park, I thought was a Red-naped Sapsucker (on another shot I can clearly see the red-nape) but it's chest is very white, is this normal?

Number 4 was taken near Devil's Tower, Wyoming. Is it a female Downy Woodpecker?

Number 5 also taken near Devil's Tower - Is it a White-breasted Nuthatch? The colours on its back doesn't look quite right to me.

Attachments

• 4-Kolob-Canyons.gif
    4-Kolob-Canyons.gif
    139.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 11-Rocky-Mountain-NP-Hairy-.jpg
    11-Rocky-Mountain-NP-Hairy-.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 19-RockyMNP-Sapsucker.gif
    19-RockyMNP-Sapsucker.gif
    159.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 29-DevilsTower-Downy-WP.gif
    29-DevilsTower-Downy-WP.gif
    177 KB · Views: 69
  • 32-DevilsTower-WhitBrea-Nut.gif
    32-DevilsTower-WhitBrea-Nut.gif
    214.3 KB · Views: 64
More help please...

The next two are two shots of the same bird (Plover?) taken in Custer State Park South Dakota. I don't know which Plover.

Again in Custer State Park the shot on the reeds, a type of Sparrow?

I believe the next one is a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, am I correct? This one was taken in Yellowstone National Park.

The final one of this batch again taken in Yellowstone NP, looks like a Williamson's Sapsucker, but the belly doesn't look yellow though.

Attachments

• 40-CusterSP-Plover.gif
    40-CusterSP-Plover.gif
    244.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 40-CusterSP-Plover-2.gif
    40-CusterSP-Plover-2.gif
    207.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 45-CusterSP.gif
    45-CusterSP.gif
    166.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 56-Yellowstone-YellRump-War.gif
    56-Yellowstone-YellRump-War.gif
    213.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 59-Yellowstone.gif
    59-Yellowstone.gif
    242.2 KB · Views: 78
And more...

The next one call it shot 11 was taken in Yellowstone National Park (as were all the rest in this section. I don't know what this one is.

The next I believe to be Dark-eyed Junco, pink-sided mearnsi

The Finch, is it a Cassin's or a Common Rosefinch?

The final one, I thought was a Flicker, possibly Northern, but it lacks the marking at the side of its face.

Attachments

• 60-Yellowstone.gif
    60-Yellowstone.gif
    151.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 64-Yellowstone-DEJunco.gif
    64-Yellowstone-DEJunco.gif
    184.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 65-Yellowstone-Finch.gif
    65-Yellowstone-Finch.gif
    262.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 71-Yellowstone.gif
    71-Yellowstone.gif
    222.4 KB · Views: 59
I would really appreciate your help in IDing the following birds.

The first picture was taken in Kolob Canyon (Zion National Park). It was close to a Western Scub-Jay, could it be a juvenile or is it something completely different.

The second was taken in Rocky Mountain National Park, is it a Hairy Woodpecker?

The third, again taken in Rocky Mountain National Park, I thought was a Red-naped Sapsucker (on another shot I can clearly see the red-nape) but it's chest is very white, is this normal?

Number 4 was taken near Devil's Tower, Wyoming. Is it a female Downy Woodpecker?

Number 5 also taken near Devil's Tower - Is it a White-breasted Nuthatch? The colours on its back doesn't look quite right to me.

1, Western Scrub Jay (dull inland form)
2. Hairy Woodpecker
3. Red-naped Sapsucker (white breast normal)
4. Downy Woodpecker
5. White-breasted Nuthatch

The next two are two shots of the same bird (Plover?) taken in Custer State Park South Dakota. I don't know which Plover.

Again in Custer State Park the shot on the reeds, a type of Sparrow?

I believe the next one is a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, am I correct? This one was taken in Yellowstone National Park.

The final one of this batch again taken in Yellowstone NP, looks like a Williamson's Sapsucker, but the belly doesn't look yellow though.

1.-2. Killdeer
3. YR Warbler
4. Red-winged Blackbird
5. Williamson's Sapsucker

The next one call it shot 11 was taken in Yellowstone National Park (as were all the rest in this section. I don't know what this one is.

The next I believe to be Dark-eyed Junco, pink-sided mearnsi

The Finch, is it a Cassin's or a Common Rosefinch?

The final one, I thought was a Flicker, possibly Northern, but it lacks the marking at the side of its face.

1. Clark's Nutcracker
2. Dark-eyed Junco
3. Cassin's Finch
4. Northern Flicker (female)

Excellent! Thank you for your help.

I'm starting to get better at this!!!

The Red-winged Blackbird really foxed me, didn't think to look at the immature sketches!

Nice picture of the yellow-rumped warbler, they're so dissimilar to the ones here I wouldn't have guessed it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back