• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Waigeo, West Papua - 12 (2 Viewers)

mihir

India
Request Id help for these birds photographed in Waigeo, West Papua, Indonesia in July 2023

1) Glossy-mantled manucode?
2)
3) Black sunbird?
4)
5) Rufous-bellied kookaburra?

Attachments

• _PAP9232 copy.jpg
    _PAP9232 copy.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 34
  • _PAP9238 copy.jpg
    _PAP9238 copy.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 33
  • _PAP9253-topaz-enhance-2x-denoiseraw copy.jpg
    _PAP9253-topaz-enhance-2x-denoiseraw copy.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 26
  • _PAP9286 copy.jpg
    _PAP9286 copy.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 31
  • _PAP9289-topaz-denoiseraw copy.jpg
    _PAP9289-topaz-denoiseraw copy.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 35
re 5 Rufous-bellied kookaburra: looking through the field guide, that is where I also ended. Might be best to get confirmation from someone with more experience in that area
Niels

My Internet at Iron Range is very poor so I can't open the photos, but yes to Rufous-bellied Kookaburra and Black Sunbird anyway

Better reception now, so I think the first is Black Butcherbird, I can see a blue-grey bill, the distant small bird looks like one of the bronze-cuckoos and the shorebird looks Whimbrel-like

Looking again at that manucode photo, I think the bill colour is an artefact of lighting, and the blue on the shoulder plus the tail nails it as Glossy-Mantled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back