• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Waigeo, West Papua - 15 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request Id help for these birds photographed in Waigeo, West Papua, Indonesia in July 2023

1)
2) Sacred Kingfisher?
3)
4)
5) Black Kite?
6) Papuan eclectus?
7) Papuan hornbill ?

Attachments

• _PAP0334 copy.jpg
    _PAP0334 copy.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 29
  • _PAP0372-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen copy.jpg
    _PAP0372-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen copy.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 28
  • _PAP0393-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg
    _PAP0393-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 19
  • _PAP0400-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg
    _PAP0400-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
  • _PAP0421 copy.jpg
    _PAP0421 copy.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 28
  • _PAP0481 copy.jpg
    _PAP0481 copy.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 27
  • _PAP0525 copy.jpg
    _PAP0525 copy.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 31
2 agree
4 presumably olive-crowned
5 yes (black ear coverts rule out brahminy)
6 probably: not sure what other options there are (it's not great-billed parrot)
7 Blythe's hornbill unless there's a split/alternative name I'm unaware of

5. Not terribly black-kite-like, eg whitish lower belly, not-forked-looking and pale tail. Maybe whistling kite.
Agree not black kite-like: I thought juvenile brahminy but neither that nor whistling kite have black ear coverts (was also unaware whistling kite could occur there}

I don't see black ear coverts.
Looks fine for Brahminy.

6. Great-billed Parrot
2. Yes, Sacred Kingfisher

The hornbill is the only one present. Blyth's / Papuan, same bird afaik.
Perhaps the "ear-coverts" are just shadow, in which case agree brahminy.

Great-billed parrot has a red or strongly red-orange bill: this has yellow-orange. Its bill is notably larger than here and it has yellow underwing coverts. So suggest it cannot be that species unless there's some immature plumage I'm unaware of.

re kite, compare this photo: Juvenile brahminy kite

Also I think you'll find many that show a darker ear patch online, so I don't see that as a reason against it. example:

Re parrot, eclectus has red underwing coverts and very different proportions (short tail). To me the lighting is a bit difficult but you can turn the "green" underwing into yellow, and the bill looks as large as I'd expect. to me it looks "perfect" for great-billed and don't see a reason to look further 😅

#1 looks okay for a Starling?

Perhaps the "ear-coverts" are just shadow, in which case agree brahminy.

Great-billed parrot has a red or strongly red-orange bill: this has yellow-orange. Its bill is notably larger than here and it has yellow underwing coverts. So suggest it cannot be that species unless there's some immature plumage I'm unaware of.

Darker ear coverts seem pretty standard for juvenile and immature Brahminy kites, definitely a brahminy kite.

1 might be a Cuckooshrike
2. Scared Kingfisher
3 Spotted Honeyeater
4 Olive-crowned Flowerpecker
5 Brahminy Kite
6 Papuan Eclectus, looks atypically long-time but everything else fits
7 Blyth's Hornbill, or Papuan Hornbill if you remove the eponym

Surely not? Eclectus should have red underwing coverts. Lower mandible should be dark. Tail is too long... Not seeing how it fits 🤔

Compare: ML219386421 - Papuan Eclectus - Macaulay Library
I looked at this again later. The points you raise in #9 are correct and my initial review of (especially bill) colours was wrong. On second viewing it's clearly a large-billed parrot

(Only responding again because #9 is no longer the last comment)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back