• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I saw an exuvia on a lily pad on our garden pond. When I fished it out, I could see that the dragonfly had emerged, although the split was not at all noticeable. I was surprised as I don't think I've ever seen a dragonfly emerge on a floating leaf before.
I measured the case and it was 60mms - so I'm thinking possibly an emperor?
I took a photo alongside another exuvia which was on an iris frond. This one is much smaller and might, perhaps be a Sympetrum sp.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4961.JPG
    IMG_4961.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4970 (1000).JPG
    IMG_4970 (1000).JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 8
Looks good for Emperor. The very long labial mask is a good hint of either Emperor or Southern Hawker, and I think I can see long spines on the abdominal segments. Also the eyes are a rather different shape to hawkers. In the first photo it's on its back so I'd guess it fell there from some tall plant or similar, after emergence was over.

The smaller one looks like a chaser or skimmer to me. There are several options that are reasonably common in garden ponds and I'm not much good at ID of exuviae - if I suggested a species ID I'd be guessing.

Looks good for Emperor. The very long labial mask is a good hint of either Emperor or Southern Hawker, and I think I can see long spines on the abdominal segments. Also the eyes are a rather different shape to hawkers. In the first photo it's on its back so I'd guess it fell there from some tall plant or similar, after emergence was over.
That sounds plausible - it could have been near the top of one of the irises or rushes and blown down. Thanks for your input. We get a lot of common darters so that would, I think, be a likely candidate for the other one. A recent BB Chaser case was significantly larger.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back