• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Me: Flower and Tree/Shrub (San Leandro, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

I don't usually photograph plants, but these two were so brightly colored in the midst of the monotone, wintery, drab greens that I couldn't resist. And this forum has me in the habit of being super-accurate on IDs and trying to learn about the natural world as I go.

Attempts to ID the plants with the Audubon app was a lost causes (database too small?), so hoped you folks could help.

1. Beautiful orange flower. I made sure to leave the budding/unflowered version at the right side for additional reference.
  2. This purple fellow really stuck-out from all the surrounding plants and looked quite stunning.

Attachments

• IDme_OrangeFlower.jpg
    IDme_OrangeFlower.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IDme_PurpleTree.jpg
    IDme_PurpleTree.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 71
1st one might be type of Crocosmia - Lucifer, not sure when you took the photo as a bit early for Monbretia would say

Last edited:
I have a bit more info on this and been informed it might be a species of Watsonia a genus native to Sth Africa, not to bet on, but maybe W. spectabilis, await others input on this

I have a bit more info on this and been informed it might be a species of Watsonia a genus native to Sth Africa, not to bet on, but maybe W. spectabilis, await others input on this

Think you were closer with Montbretia. Early this morning before work I recognised the flower but couldn't recall the name. This evening the name came to me- Chasmanthe, which is South African, but saw it some years ago naturalised on Scilly.

Think you were closer with Montbretia. Early this morning before work I recognised the flower but couldn't recall the name. This evening the name came to me- Chasmanthe, which is South African, but saw it some years ago naturalised on Scilly.

I amongst many have been calling these Montbretia or Crocosmia for years so thanks Aeshna for pointing me to the correct genus! I even went down and picked a floret from the garden next door to study and make absolute sure.

Chasmanthe floribunda (African Flag) is common in gardens in the Algarve, sometimes naturalising and it looks like the OP's flower indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back