• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id on this N. American Warbler in Costa Rica please? (1 Viewer)

BryanP

Little known member
Canada
Hi!
I’m in Costa Rica and recorded this video in my neighbourhood a couple days ago.

At first I thought it was a Golden-winged Warbler Vermivora chrysoptera but several local birders have suggested it might be a hybrid of that species known as a Brewster’s Warbler.
I’m becoming increasingly convinced it might be since this individual (a female) shows no subtle vestigial dark cheek and throat pattern seen in the Golden-winged Warbler And the pale buffy white underparts show none of the yellow seen in the Blue-winged Warbler.

My problem is although I (and other local birders) are becoming increasingly convinced it is a Brewster’s Warbler I’m finding that difficult to believe as there has only been 4 or 5 sightings ever here in Costa Rica. For me, in spite of the very obvious and clear marking differences the jury is still out.
Any suggestions, observations or help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Bryan
View attachment IMG_1350.MP4

Facial pattern looks to be a definite Brewster's type to me though I'd say male, not female?

The wing bar is more solid than I'd expect, depicted as being two, distinctly separate bars.

Facial pattern looks to be a definite Brewster's type to me though I'd say male, not female?

The wing bar is more solid than I'd expect, depicted as being two, distinctly separate bars.
Thanks Andy. Yes, I think you’re right, male. Trying to get a consensus since I’m weak on Warblers and want to be sure. Heres a shot of a confirmed bird at Rondeau Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada A few years ago.
Cheers,
Bryan

F678CBF3-C94C-41CA-B91F-927488509397.jpeg

I've only seen one of each hybrid (1 Brewster's and 1 Lawrence's), but for me this is definitely Brewster's. Male and female Golden-winged always show black throats and auriculars. So this bird exhibiting a pale throat and ear coverts is a known hybrid character, the other is the narrow black eyeline, a pro Blue-winged feature for sure.

Stu

I've only seen one of each hybrid (1 Brewster's and 1 Lawrence's), but for me this is definitely Brewster's. Male and female Golden-winged always show black throats and auriculars. So this bird exhibiting a pale throat and ear coverts is a known hybrid character, the other is the narrow black eyeline, a pro Blue-winged feature for sure.

Stu
Hi stuartelsom,
Thank you very much for the info. My wild guess was Brewster‘s over Lawrence as well, the pale throat gave it away for me. This sighting is supposedly a big deal down in these parts so a very cool find for me.
the individual in the video seems to have settled in the same forest patch for the winter. we’ve observed it the first time a month ago and on the past weekend for 2 days in a row. Going back to look for it tomorrow morning.
a lifer for me for sure.
I have no idea but it sure is a beautiful bird and an equally beautiful captures.
Hi KC, to be clear I took the video of a individual here in Costa Rica in my original post but the photo in my reply to Andy is of a individual found and photographed in Ontario. And yes it was quite striking to see in the wild. Stood out by a mile from the other warblers.
Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back