• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (Irvine harbour - Ayrshire) (1 Viewer)

When I first saw this picture I thought maybe it was a raptor, like Sparrowhawk, Peregrine or Merlin.

Then I started wondering if it was maybe a Skylark.

Then I gave up.

first impression was 'owl' for me. I actually got a flash of an oiled/dirty snowy (a la Felixstowe) for half a second, but I think it's a short-eared. That hunched appearance and fat head, with well mottled back. Gotta be. A juv peregrine wouldn't show so much pale splodging on the back, surely. And just look at it, it looks like a sack of spuds. Gotta be an owl.

OK here goes with a bit of dodgy photo analysis. From right to left, the birds superimposed on the image are short-eared owl, merlin x 2, sparrowhawk x 2, peregrine buzzard. To me short-eared owl can immediately be ruled out on head shape. Buzzard can also be ruled out on general coloration (OK some are pale, but it doesn’t look right for me). I think peregrine would show the mask extending down the cheek, which this bird doesn’t have. That leaves sprawk and merlin. Could be either, but I’m leaning towards merlin just on overall jizz (I owned a pair of rubbish bins for over 15 years) and the fact it’s perched on the ground - something I’ve seen merlin’s do more than sparrowhawks.

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Its a short-eared owl for me. The pale overall colouration and structure seem good, while there seems to be a row of pale spotting on the scapulars. Good for SEO, bad for any falcon. Not completely sure which way it is facing.

Frenchy said:
Its a short-eared owl for me. The pale overall colouration and structure seem good, while there seems to be a row of pale spotting on the scapulars. Good for SEO, bad for any falcon. Not completely sure which way it is facing.

You could be right, but I can't get SEO. If it was facing towards the camera I reckon the face mask would be more obvious. If it's facing side on or away, I'm not sure you'd get the pale collar effect

Yeah, surprisingly tricky this one, and another example of where a picture is a lot harder than if you'd actually seen the bird in the field. Or if it had been seen to fly off.....

hannu said:
I don't see any facial mask of owl in the first pic....

I downloaded the pic and then zoomed in and it has too small a head for an owl.

The head pattern doesn't seem to match Peregrine as it appears to have a supercilium. However the supercilium doesn't appear marked enough or contrast with the eye-stripe so not Goshawk either, I feel.

If one observer thought that this was a Goshawk, then that should hopefully discount Merlin!

The bird appears to be grey.

White marks in the remiges and especially on the scapulars is regular in Sparrowhawk.

Looks like a female sproghawk.

Cheers,

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back