• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please on Norway bird (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
This bird was singing (a short phrase, repeated at intervals) while perched on tree in woods at the edge of the sea 30 miles south of Oslo, Norway. My first thought on seeing it's behaviour was whitethroat but shape, stance and colouring are wrong for whitethroat. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
This bird was singing (a short phrase, repeated at intervals) while perched on tree in woods at the edge of the sea 30 miles south of Oslo, Norway. My first thought on seeing it's behaviour was whitethroat but shape, stance and colouring are wrong for whitethroat. Any ideas?
On the contrary, all looks right for Whitethroat, probably a male.

EDIT: in fact definitely a male if it was singing! Didn't this clinch it for you?

RB

Last edited:
On the contrary, all looks right for Whitethroat, probably a male.

EDIT: in fact definitely a male if it was singing! Didn't this clinch it for you?

RB
Yes, I strongly suspected whitethroat but the "pose" didn't look right. I usually see them in an upright stance, with the domed head more prominent. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back