• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Question in Northern California, US. (North Bay) (1 Viewer)

thirteen

Hi, everyone. Thanks in advance for reading. I am very new to birding, and I apologize for not having a photo, but I saw this bird on a short walk during my lunch break last week and didn't have a decent camera handy. (My office abuts a saltwater wetlands preserve; watching all the birds there during my lunch is what piqued my interest.) I will do my best to describe the bird adequately.

The bird in question was small, approximately the size of a sparrow. It was a dark bluish-gray color, with a long tail. As it flitted from tree to tree ahead of me on the walking trail, I could see that the underside of the tail was white. When it landed on a high branch, I was able to walk underneath it and see that it had a white patch on its fat little belly that extended down to the underside of the tail. The rest of the neck and head were that same dark bluish gray. (I did have my binoculars, so I got quite a good look.)

After lunch, I looked through my bird app and decided that it was a slate dark-eyed junco. I was satisfied with this identification until today when I read that the slate morph junco is only found in eastern North America. The pictures of the western "Oregon" morph I found really don't match what I saw.

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I looked at all of the birds that my app and my field guide say are similar to a dark-eyed junco, but none of them seem to match. Is it possible that there are slate morph juncos in the west?

Again, thanks for reading. I hope I didn't get too TL;DR.

They aren't too rare but they certainly aren't common. I've seen a good hundred Oregon juncos and no Slates. They say Myrtles aren't common either, but I see those fairly often, so it depends on your location. I had a breeding plumage Myrtle up at Santa Cruz last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back