• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID request - Long Point, Ontario (1 Viewer)

chris8030

I have a couple of rather not so great shots of birds that I'd like help ID'ing, any positive id's would be greatly appreciated! I cropped them to get the closest view.

1. Two ducks, at Long Point in the reeds. They flew away together
018a.jpg

2. Either a woodcock or snipe I think. Wilson's Snipe?
046.jpg

3. Is this a Palm Warbler?
002.jpg

4. Finally, this weird bird...is it a part-leucistic sparrow? This was in Woodstock Ontario, in the same area where I've seen two different partially leucistic American Robins in recent years.
014a.jpg

1, Gadwall 2, Wilsons Snipe 3, Palm Warbler 4, Can't decide between Fox and Song Sparrow. To be honest, I struggle with Sparrows when they're normal.

Phil

The sparrow is a Fox Sparrow. The bill is too thick for Song, and appears to be mostly yellow, and the wings are extensively rufous. The tail and rump have a reddish wash, as well.

I agree with the other identifications.

The sparrow is a Fox Sparrow. The bill is too thick for Song, and appears to be mostly yellow, and the wings are extensively rufous. The tail and rump have a reddish wash, as well.

I agree with the other identifications.

I could certainly go along with that. Wasn't sure how much the bill colour could be affected by leucism but the other points are pretty persuasive.

Phil

The birdforum gallery has a section for "Albinos and other odd birds", this looks like a picture that belongs there!

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back