• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID requests - Ontario (1 Viewer)

chris8030

Hi again, I have a handful of birds from around Ontario that I'm not sure of. Mostly because they are not great pics. I cropped some to show the bird up close. Thank you for all the help I get!

1. Crow or Raven? Carden Alvar, Carden ON
IMG_0899.jpg

2. Some kind of flycatcher? Carden Alvar
IMG_0739a.jpg

3. Is this a female Bobolink? Carden Alvar
IMG_0923-1.jpg

4. Really bad picture but any ideas? Rondeau Provincial Park
IMG_9521a.jpg

5. What kind of swallows? Long Point
IMG_9814a.jpg

6. Another swallow...is this a Northern Rough-wing? Woodstock, ON
IMG_9888a.jpg

1. I'm thinking crow.
2. E.Phoebe or E.Pewee. My first impression is Pewee
3. Grasshopper Sparrow
4. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
5. Purple Martins
6. Looks good for Rough-wing

#2 Bird is in an odd pose, but structurally I think it's more like a phoebe. Note the long tail, horizontal stance and small all dark bill. Great Crested Flycatcher should be bright yellow on the belly, not pale yellow and should usually have a darker more mouse-gray colored breast. The bill should be longer with an obvious pale base to the mandible. On my monitor, I do not see any reddish on the edges of the primaries. Instead I see dull yellowish fringes, similar to the color of the belly and the marginal coverts. Compare with this Eastern Phoebe:

http://stlucieaudubon.org/images/BirdPhotos/EasternPhoebe.jpg

Note the similar wing panel coloration with darker brown (but not really reddish) primaries contrasting with pale fringed secondaries. Also it has faint wing-bars, similar to the mystery bird. Most importantly is the tail (admittedly out of focus), but it should show lots of rufous if it were a Great Crested and it shows no color at all.

I stand by Eastern Phoebe for #2. I don't think it's a pewee btw, for a bunch of other reasons. All dark bill for one, dull yellowish belly for another, short primary projection for another, etc.

Edit: I adjusted the original image attempting to correct the exposure a little bit. Attached to the bottom. This image gives a better sense of the open vest typical of Eastern Phoebe.

#4 I agree with Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Notice the eyering is broken on top and the tail appears too short for a gnatcatcher. The hovering behavior is typical of kinglet. A close look shows pale coloration to the toes. Good for kinglet, bad for gnatcatcher.

Attachments

• IMG_0739afiltered.jpg
    IMG_0739afiltered.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Image 2..was puzzling me yesterday, as I was finding difficulty in attributing it to either of the two suggested candidates GC.Flycatcher/Eastern Phoebe, (considering the bill to big in the former..and the wrong cosmetic in the latter). However..Crazyfinger's thread..'Two birds in Maine' kinda supports Eastern Phoebe, as clearly Immature EP's show much warmer brown upperparts compared to adults? cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back