• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this insect in Chiang Mai,Thailand? (1 Viewer)

marie b

Can someone ID this insect? None of the locals, who can almost always give me at least one or more Thai or northern Thai names for every creature I come across, has ever seen this creature. It is 9cm long. Found among trees- Tamarind, Rose Apple, Olive, Mango, etc. surrounding a fish pond on the property where I live, which is surrounded by rice fields. I haven't seen it enough to determine what it is feeding on.
Thank you!
Marie

Attachments

• CM insect to ID IMG_7894.jpg
    CM insect to ID IMG_7894.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 39
Thank you both,Welsh Peregrine and honeym, for your kind and speedy response!

In the meantime, a friend of a friend (birders all) led me to Tosena melanoptera posted on the website siamensis.org; since my pic shows an orange body with black spots, differing from the melanoptera which is a black body with orange spots along with other small differences, I think it is possibly Tosena alba which, according to Wiki, is regarded as a variety of Tosena melanoptera.

If anyone else would like to comment on this gorgeous creature, please feel welcome...I love to learn about them all.

Thank you again, Marie

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back