• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideal Weather (1 Viewer)

Regan

Yesterday I went to a new venue, for me, College Lake in Bulbourne near Tring. I love going to new places especially when they don't disappoint. It's not a large venue but was packed with birds. There is a large lake, wet meadows and marshes, plus adjoining farmland. I saw lots of birds on the water; Mute swans, canadian & greylag geese, mallards, gadwall, teal, tufted duck, wigeon, pochard, coot and moorhen. All swimming with their partners, giving me a good chance to nail the differences between the females. What made this special for me though was the lack of people and the weather. Although it was cold there was no wind, and a very bright low sun shining across the still water. The light seemed to pick out every colour and shade in the feathers, making even the most ordinary of birds seem very special. Marvellous!!!

I'd love a birding day out with very few people there like you had especially dog walkers. But not if I had a mega rarity cos no one would belive me would they? I also love it when all the plumage details seem sharp and true.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back