• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification sylviidae (1 Viewer)

I had hesitated to comment, one reason being that my personal experience with Red-billed Leiothrix was in Japan. BUT, I see that the site of the photo was in Japan...

I discovered these wintering and then breeding in the spring near my home, which was in a wooded university campus -- essentially a nature reserve. What a surprise it was the year a very large flock of them first showed up (2003, winter; they had not been present for all of the 12 years I had been living there). They have become quite naturalized in Japan, clearly originally escapees, perhaps released long ago by illegal importers. Anyway, while this individual's exact plumage was not familiar to me, I think it not unlikely that it is a very juvenile one, I just never got to see any quite that young (just the time of year of school break when we often traveled), before the bill changed. It doesn't quite match the description in Robson, not having any olive tinge to the underparts, nor white, and that swoop of gold coming around the auriculars seems too extensive onto the neck ... but ....

I was always amazed watching them, at the great variation in plumage and shades of coloring. But their song is heavenly.

Looking forward to more comments.....

Marie

The bird is a liocichla. Judging by the lack of yellow around the face, I think it is Emei Shan Liocichla Liocichla omeiensis.

A fairly unusual bird in captivity I would think

The bird is a liocichla. Judging by the lack of yellow around the face, I think it is Emei Shan Liocichla Liocichla omeiensis.

A fairly unusual bird in captivity I would think

Thank you Mr. Allcock!
I should have thought of that! But all I know is the Red-faced Liocichla.
And that accounts for the gold swoop around the auriculars. Here is nice photo
http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/ImageDetail.aspx?imdet=57394

Also can see that my first impression that the tail of the first image was too yellow/red for Leiothrix was right, but I later thought the wing must have been flexed.

I wonder if this one was keeping with Leiothrixes in Japan to lead the photographer to think it was one. Maybe in the zoo as motmot mentioned!

Last edited:
hello
thank you for your assistance, it is well a Omei Shan Liocichla or grey faced Liocichla

I will write a letter to the photograph for explain to him that the first picture is not a leiothrix lutea or red-billed leiothrix but a grey faced Liocichla

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back