• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Images' (1 Viewer)

the best art is mostly playful nonsense, and as oscar Wilde says, or said, I'm sure he's been dead long enough to qualify for being spoken about in the past. Anyway, I quote

"The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless".

But now, seriously, what you're doing is art, you are showing things that you discover in a way that other people can understand. You're translating the wonder of things observed into a picture in which the beauty of real life can be seen. So less of this 'you' artists, as I'm afraid you're one of us!
I would pursue your images, don't be afraid to show people what you find amazing and inspirational, you'll find that many don't get it and never will, yet others will be so glad you shared as they take inspiration to go and look a little closer at seemingly banal objects to see hidden worlds in them.

Cheers Nick...very kind words!
That Oscar quote is superb...[like so many of his]....what insight/intellect and wit that guy had....!

I guess at times i just question the 'things' that i do...but at the moment i feel compelled to produce these images o mine...[or rather 'natures' images]....don't know why! Only just started doing 'this thing' since i started looking at this art forum...!!!
[Past few years i've been 'doing' mainly writing...believe it or not:eek!:...as it's something i enjoy...especially the 'fun stuff']...;)

Am pleased that you and others see what i am attempting to do in this little visual 'venture' of mine.....so i shall continue.....:eek!:

Okay...enuff woffle for now....all the best....:t:

On a sort of serious note...[something i usually refrain from]....do you really think that i should perhaps take your advice and get some of my 'stuff' printed up....'proper like'...?
Absolutely - I think a selection of these images printed large format and mounted nicely woud be very splendid indeed. Thing about digital photography is that everyone now has a billion megapixel phone etc. - it is having a unique way of seeing things that makes the work interesting (I'm sure Andrew would agree) - and these are intriguing.

Yep, I'm enjoying dropping in to see the latest bits and bobs. The twirly tree is straight out of 'Nightmare before Christmas'!

Mike

Absolutely - I think a selection of these images printed large format and mounted nicely woud be very splendid indeed. Thing about digital photography is that everyone now has a billion megapixel phone etc. - it is having a unique way of seeing things that makes the work interesting (I'm sure Andrew would agree) - and these are intriguing.

Don't those adverts for mobile phones drive you mad...?

"There's an app for that"....etc..!

I started using my 'proper' camera at the weekend as my moby doesn't have enuff pixels really...but like i say i only started doing this for a bit of fun and the phone is always handy....[i have it mainly for all the bird calls n music i have on it]...

Woody.....'a nightmare before christmas'?.....i am a huge fan of Tim Burton and his visions...[can't wait to see his 'Alice in Wonderland' film]...!!

ps...Tim.....i will start to 'go thru' some of my images for printing up..[maybe 10x8's]?.....am thinking maybe some triptych type stuff as i think a few of the images work well together...[ie...the first 'owls' and maybe even the three corvid images i posted recently]....i will have to get the combinations right before i proceed....

Thanks again to all.....for advice etc....!

i will start to 'go thru' some of my images for printing up..[maybe 10x8's]?.....am thinking maybe some triptych type stuff as i think a few of the images work well together

triptych sounds like a very good idea as it might reduce the pressure to crank the individual image sizes up when you print- what sort of pixel x pixel image size are these gems when they come off the phone?

The earlier images are only a measly 2megapixels Ed:eek!:....tho at that time, when i was solely using the phone, i wasn't that bothered as the resulting images were pleasing enuff to my eyes...and i had only just started doing....[whatever it is i am doing]!

Now i'm using a 7megapixel sony camera so all pix will stand enlarging to a degree i expect...

So the earlier 'stuff'..[at 2megapix]...i suppose could be reproduced at a smaller size...which i wouldn't mind as i quite like 'miniatures'...especially a sequence...[along the triptych line]...if you get my drift....

Just to 'link in' to what i've just been talking about...[pixels and the lack of]...etc

I mentioned somewhere along the line about my passion for hobbies....

Last year i took a few 'mobile' camera shots whilst watching these fantastic falcons...so i just dug 'em out. I quite like the lack of crispness that a low megapixel image gives...[i know that might sound a bit odd...but hey]...!
In a couple of images here that i took last year i've even left the dark curved shadow formed by sticking the phone camera up to my scope...because again...i quite like the 'effect'....

ps...also attached is a morph from some original artwork o mine....it's a bit 'BRIGHT'.....:eek!:

Attachments

• 028 - Copy.jpg
    028 - Copy.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 043 - Copy.JPG
    043 - Copy.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 50
Maybe a bit bright - but it's a bit of alright, too. Hobbies are great birds - major rarity up here (we'll just have to put up with scootie allans instead).

Maybe a bit bright - but it's a bit of alright, too. Hobbies are great birds - major rarity up here (we'll just have to put up with scootie allans instead).

I spend as much time with hobbies as possible after i've located them in the spring....not always easy to find mind..!...[but i enjoy 'the hunt']..!

ps...the 'brighter' version of the hobby just reminds me of summer days to come....[when no doubt i shall be chasing 'dragons' again...just like the hobbies]..... ;)

As i'm now thinking of summer....here's a few images i'd forgot about from a few years back...[yes...even then i was tinkering about]...!

Broad bordered Bee Hawkmoths.....[i try to get to see them most years in Lincs]....

Attachments

• artylight.jpg
    artylight.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 52
  • arty.4.jpg
    arty.4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 43
  • arty.3.jpg
    arty.3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 40
Glad you enjoy Tim...!

I only put those bee hawkmoth images up because my mind was in summer 'mode'....[i do tend to flit from one train of thought to another depending on my mood]...;)

They are such fantastic and captivating creatures...i never tire of spending time in their presence..!
Must make an effort this year...[weather depending]!...on seeing narrow-bordered bee hawkmoth...

The variations in shape...actions...colours and textures within moth species are quite incredible as i'm sure you are well aware...[i'm often in complete awe of their beauty...sometimes subtle...and sometimes...just vivid and bizarre]..!!

ps...just an afterthought...having viewed the right hand image of bee hawk on small scale.....it sort of reminds me of graffiti?.....[of course...this could be because i have just returned from the pub]....

Last edited:
Just a few bits n bobs from today's activities...thus far...

The light was fantastic this morning producing great shadows...on fences and in ponds....

ps...last 'cave painting' type image seems to have some sort of heron in it...[or maybe i'm still feeling the effects of last nights real ale]...B :);)

Attachments

• 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 005 - Copy.JPG
    005 - Copy.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 001 - Copy.JPG
    001 - Copy.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 44
Flippin' heck, your a dark horse Username.... I venture into this section of the basement for the first time this year (shame on me and slap on wrist I know, but life has been throwing curve balls so far in 2010), and I find this amazingly glorious work. What fantastic stuff...... Just spent an enjoyable half hour reading through this thread and being left speechless!

ATB

Steph'

Flippin' heck, your a dark horse Username.... I venture into this section of the basement for the first time this year (shame on me and slap on wrist I know, but life has been throwing curve balls so far in 2010), and I find this amazingly glorious work. What fantastic stuff...... Just spent an enjoyable half hour reading through this thread and being left speechless!

ATB

Steph'

Hi Steph...! Thanks for visiting the 'oddball' department.....;)

I was encouraged by some very nice folk 'on this floor' of the birdforum building to show some of the visual 'stuff' that i enjoy doing...[and i am pleased that you have been entertained]...!
As you well know..i usually like to express myself verbally on other threads/blogs....but as the extreme nature:eek!: of my writing is somewhat inhibited by 'certain' restrictions here...i decided to 'express' myself with images...[plus...it's all very quiet on the 'rare bird' stuff at mo isn't it]....?

Come and 'visit' anytime in this department...to 'shoot the breeze' or whatever.....you are always most welcome..[coz as you know i am a big fan of your work]...:t:

ps....never been described as a 'dark horse' before!....[am usually called a 'beast']......;) All the best....and keep dodging those curve balls.....[i know what that's like]...!

pps...gotta go now.....am off to look for otters....ta ta...!

And speaking of 'light' Tim.....i observed some fantastic displays this afternoon....

The otters eluded us...[as is often the case]....but i was intrigued by the late afternoon sunlight rippling thru the slats in the hide....here's a few images from my otter-less session....;)

ps...i've done no tinkering on this lot....:smoke:

Attachments

• 015 - Copy.JPG
    015 - Copy.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 016 - Copy.JPG
    016 - Copy.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 026 - Copy.JPG
    026 - Copy.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 020 - Copy.JPG
    020 - Copy.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 48
Plus these sci-fi images....i thought the light 'line' and hole...[which appears to be a planet]...kind of a freaky 'landscape'....;)

ps...oh yeah....and an outside image shadow which caught my eye....[all natures wonderful work]...!

Attachments

• 017 - Copy.JPG
    017 - Copy.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 023 - Copy.JPG
    023 - Copy.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 008 - Copy.JPG
    008 - Copy.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back