• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

immature buteo of some sort? (1 Viewer)

Craig Houghton

Artist, Illustrator, and Beginning Birder
immature buteo of some sort? CT, USA

I wish I had some better shots, especially an overhead, but until tomorrow this will have to suffice. This bird was sighted in Cheshire CT, USA

This beauty was travelling with a partner, but I failed to get a shot or a good look. The day before yesterday I think I saw this fellow from a distance, but the pics are just too blurry to bother with. Nonetheless, I am hoping he/she returns to the area.

For comparison, this bird looked larger than most of the red-tails I've been seeing in the area lately. I'm recalling a flap or two then a downward arch into a straight-wing in flight, but most of the time my view was obscured.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Craig

Attachments

• buteo1.JPG
    buteo1.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 126
  • buteo2.JPG
    buteo2.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
That dark belly band is fairly distinctive for red-tails (but isn't always present). Can't really tell if the tail is still striped (immature) or not. The eye is darkish, but wait for the experts to talk about age. Next time you see one of these flying, watch for the dark leading edge on the inner half of the undewing, which is characteristic for red-tails of all ages.

Scott

cavan wood said:
That dark belly band is fairly distinctive for red-tails (but isn't always present). Can't really tell if the tail is still striped (immature) or not. The eye is darkish, but wait for the experts to talk about age. Next time you see one of these flying, watch for the dark leading edge on the inner half of the undewing, which is characteristic for red-tails of all ages.

Scott

The streaked belly and the bit of a belly band made me think red-tailed, but after looking through the scope at the grayish head and unmarked tail of this fellow, it didn't seem to fit.

I've attached a close up of the tail, but the photo was already a super-crop. Also, for what it's worth, I just found him in another photo I'd thought was an empty shot.

-Craig

Attachments

• buteo1head.JPG
    buteo1head.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 80
  • buteo1tail.JPG
    buteo1tail.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 88
  • buteoback.JPG
    buteoback.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 84
Don't see anything that makes me think this isn't a Red-tail. ;)

Looking at the tail from the underside can be very difficult to see the rufous coloring and can look unbanded as well. I also wouldn't put too much store in shades of brown or gray on the head plumage (or anywhere else for that matter); Red-tails are probably the most variable hawk in North America. Frequently birds seen in winter can look much larger than normal due to fluffed feathers.

Thank you everyone! After looking through a diversity of hawk-shots on the web instead of relying solely on my guides and limited first-hand sightings, I see exactly what you mean! I'm also, a bit embarrassed that I allowed myself to overlook that belly-band.

Thanks again!
Craig

Craig Houghton said:
Thank you everyone! After looking through a diversity of hawk-shots on the web instead of relying solely on my guides and limited first-hand sightings, I see exactly what you mean! I'm also, a bit embarrassed that I allowed myself to overlook that belly-band.

Thanks again!
Craig

This is a great place to learn all these subtle variations, especially with birds of prey, gulls, and shorebirds. I've gotten pretty good at distinguishing between sharp-shinned and cooper's hawks, largely because of the bird id threads, and I've been able to apply what I've learned to the birds in my area. No need for embarassment. Mistakes are the best teachers.

Scott

cavan wood said:
No need for embarassment. Mistakes are the best teachers.
I'll second that, and I'm speaking from experience. I think my photo ID rate here in the forum is something like 50% right, 30% wrong, 20% haven't a clue. ;)

Katy Penland said:
I'll second that, and I'm speaking from experience. I think my photo ID rate here in the forum is something like 50% right, 30% wrong, 20% haven't a clue. ;)
A success rate of 50%? In my dreams! But I'm working on it!
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back