• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Impressions of Zen Ray ED2 9x36 (1 Viewer)

ABCY 1

As a new forum member I’d like to contribute some thoughts on Zen Ray ED2 9x36. Like a lot of forum members I’m surprised by the lack of substantial reviews of what sounds like a winning specification. In the interests of stirring the pot a bit:
Solely on the basis of online opinion, I was interested to check out the quality of Zen Ray ED2, and wanted to try 9x binos for the first time. I bought direct from ZR, a demo model at a good price. My regular binos are Bausch & Lomb Elite 8x42, over 15 years old and discontinued; I also use Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL T*, so I do have ‘alpha’ glass for comparative purposes.
Looks, build quality, handling: decent quality and finish, strap good quality, but overlong. Objective caps (focus of complaints in several online reviews) seem OK to me but I never use them in the field; eyepiece rainguard OK, cheap plastic cap on outer hinge.
Size, weight, design: light weight, but virtually the same length as B&L Elite 8x42. I have no particular preference for bridge design over traditional single hinge; these binos handle well.
Focus: wheel seems oversize for the body but smooth and precise; focus is quick and easy at a distance but VERY slow as you focus closer than about 30 ft/10m, likely to be an issue tracking small fast moving birds in cover. Focus is in the opposite direction from both my regular binos.
Eyepiece design: Rubber eye cups sit about 2.5mm above the objective surface when fully retracted; for me this means the specified 16 mm ER is barely adequate to see the full field of view. The flush eye cup design of the ED3 looks like an improvement here. I removed the rubber sheathing on the eyepieces that I could get my glasses virtually flush with the objective, which works much better for me. I doubt I’d have been so ready to do this with alpha binos, but then with B&L Elite and Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL T* I’ve never needed to.
The image: VERY impressed with apparent brightness, resolution and contrast, colour rendition, size of sweet spot – to my eyes (see disclaimer!) all comparable to alpha bins. Ability to resolve detail sits between the x8 and x10. Focusses as close as specified (slowly) but I feel my eyes working harder at this distance. Limitations of the 4.0 mm exit pupil not apparent until light is very poor, performance not noticeably worse than the 10x42, slightly behind the 8x42 as expected. FOV specified as virtually the same as the B&L Elite 8x42, but to my eye seems a shade narrower. CA not apparent, ‘veiling glare’ in eyepiece happens very occasionally, not an issue for me. Overall the image quality compensates for the minor design and handling issues, this is a good binocular at any price, but not quite an alpha. I’ll be using it regularly for fieldwork, and very interested to see if Prime HD lives up to the pre-release excitement.

Looking forward to getting some feedback!

(Disclaimer!: I am not an optics professional, and am a full time wearer of eyeglasses (myopic, with astigmatism) which limits my ability to assess edge quality in viewing; I do have a practical interest in eye relief, apparent brightness, colour rendition, resolution and field of view. I’ve been birding for over 30 years. As a field guide illustrator I look at fine detail of structure and colour in birds, especially small passerines at present.)

I may be one of the only other people here that have a 9x36 ED2. I also have a 7x36. I've never owned an Alpha bin so I really can't say how these compare. However I do own a Sightron Bluesky, Vortex Fury and Raptor and Eagle Optics Ranger. I've had the Zens for about a month and a half now and so have used them under most conditions. They are really all I reach for now. I find both the 7x and 9x about ideal for my needs. I've done very amateur reviews already so I won't say more.

I will say one thing about the EO Ranger however. IMO the center views compare very well with the Zens.

Thanks for the review! I was close to buying it but had a similar instead (Hawke Frontier ED 10x36) which was faulty and had insufficient eye relief for me, so I dropped that idea.

Focus is in the opposite direction from both my regular binos.
What's with your Zeiss FLs?

Last edited:
9x36 focus and eye relief

looksharp65 is right, the Zeiss Victory does focus in the same direction as the Zens - my careless writing, apologies for any confusion.

Incidentally the focus 'feel' of the Zeiss is the one thing I don't like about them - the image is brilliant when it's focussed, but for me it takes a lot of back and forth to get there; both Zen and B&L better in this respect (snap into sharp focus)

black crow - interested to know you use both 7x and 9x Zens regularly; maybe the greater depth of field on the 7x would make them better for tracking small fast-moving birds close in. Any thoughts?

I have a pair of 9X36 ED2 Zen-Rays coming. My eyes are not truly discerning, but I am eager to see how they compare to other decent quality bins. I will be going on a trip the end of next month & I am sure I will meet other travellers interested in briefly exchanging binoculars for the sake of comparison.

looksharp65 is right, the Zeiss Victory does focus in the same direction as the Zens - my careless writing, apologies for any confusion.

Incidentally the focus 'feel' of the Zeiss is the one thing I don't like about them - the image is brilliant when it's focussed, but for me it takes a lot of back and forth to get there; both Zen and B&L better in this respect (snap into sharp focus)

black crow - interested to know you use both 7x and 9x Zens regularly; maybe the greater depth of field on the 7x would make them better for tracking small fast-moving birds close in. Any thoughts?

Yes, I use the 7x most often. That extra 100+ft FOV makes a noticeable difference. I rarely lose a bird on the move in the 7x. I also find the views more stable in 7x. I'm glad I got the 9x instead of a 10x as that seems about the limit of a somewhat steady hold for me. Actually 8.5 would be better for me. I really like them both however. If I continue to use them exclusively over the next several months I'll likely sell off some of my other cherished bins that just are not getting used.

I have been hooked with the Zen-Ray's 7x binoculars. I used 7x36 ZEN ED2 the most. But I do like to take 7x43 ED3 with me when I don't have to spend a lot of time walking.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back