• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Imprinting (1 Viewer)

Hi again, since you already have a post in the hello forum I’m moving this to another forum where you might get some good answers.

If I remember well, sometimes it can sometimes it does not. But not all birds imprint or imprint strongly.

Common cuckoos, of course, don't imprint on their parents. Cuckoo females allegedly learn to lay egg in the same nest as they grew up. But sometimes one gets unusual cuckoos (e.g. one parasitizing only Whinchats) so they must sometimes switch. I think the general image of a fast and unbreakable imprinting is rather the extreme end of a whole spectrum of learning.

There is a small organization now in Poland now which rescues nests of waders and gulls threatened by floods and predators, raises chicks and releases them. And at last some of these birds (identified by rings) complete their normal migration, return and breed successfully, so their behavior must be largely instinctive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back