• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Improving image transfer speeds by USB C cable - an idiots experience (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
This isn’t rocket science and if you know all about USB C cables – just ignore this post. I’ve aimed at people like myself who are not experts but may need some help.

I have read a lot on here about slow transfer speeds and I got frustrated with slow/inconsistent read speeds from my R5 CF Express card using a ProGrade CF Express B/SD reader and various USB C cables. My PC is pretty high spec and it's a fast card so why was I getting transfer speeds of 40 MB/s in Windows 11?

Realised it could be the USB C cables which I have accumulated over the years both USB A to USB C and USB C to USB C. But surely all USB C connections are inherently fast? Apparently not! Found the graphic below which shows the different types. So off I went to look at the end of my USB cables for the relevant icon - but 12 of 15 were just blank or showed the (basic) USB 2.0 icon so that didn’t help.

Did my own tests by transferring a 1GB file from my PC to the card reader (and vice versa). All but one of my 15 USB C cables ran at 40 MB/s maximum even though they had the blue USB A connector and a USB C connector. But one random lead (with the basic USB icon:confused:) rocketed away at 360 MB/s!! Subsequently bought two USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cables (with a clear and obvious SS 20 USB logo and that takes some finding!) and they also rocked away at 460 Mb/s. Transfer speed issue solved!

As an aside, I recently bought a high duty USB C PD cable to run my R5 off a battery pack. Transferred at 40 MB/s :mad:

So, my key learnings are:

• Don’t assume a USB C cable is inherently fast – it may well not be.
  • It is very difficult to determine a cables specifications on speed once the packaging is discarded and there is no logo
  • Testing your cables soon tells you which are best for data transfer.
  • Make sure you buy cables with the USB logo AND SPEED clearly displayed. A quick visit to Amazon will show you that isn't as easy as it sounds :eek: They are more expensive but worth it.
  • Read the spec carefully to make sure it meets both your speed and any PD requirements. It takes time but it’s worth it.
I am sure I could achieve even faster speeds, but my little brain is happy with the improvements I have made. But…………..

Michael

Screenshot 2022-07-19 190750.jpg

This isn’t rocket science and if you know all about USB C cables – just ignore this post. I’ve aimed at people like myself who are not experts but may need some help.

I have read a lot on here about slow transfer speeds and I got frustrated with slow/inconsistent read speeds from my R5 CF Express card using a ProGrade CF Express B/SD reader and various USB C cables. My PC is pretty high spec and it's a fast card so why was I getting transfer speeds of 40 MB/s in Windows 11?

Realised it could be the USB C cables which I have accumulated over the years both USB A to USB C and USB C to USB C. But surely all USB C connections are inherently fast? Apparently not! Found the graphic below which shows the different types. So off I went to look at the end of my USB cables for the relevant icon - but 12 of 15 were just blank or showed the (basic) USB 2.0 icon so that didn’t help.

Did my own tests by transferring a 1GB file from my PC to the card reader (and vice versa). All but one of my 15 USB C cables ran at 40 MB/s maximum even though they had the blue USB A connector and a USB C connector. But one random lead (with the basic USB icon:confused:) rocketed away at 360 MB/s!! Subsequently bought two USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cables (with a clear and obvious SS 20 USB logo and that takes some finding!) and they also rocked away at 460 Mb/s. Transfer speed issue solved!

As an aside, I recently bought a high duty USB C PD cable to run my R5 off a battery pack. Transferred at 40 MB/s :mad:

So, my key learnings are:

• Don’t assume a USB C cable is inherently fast – it may well not be.
  • It is very difficult to determine a cables specifications on speed once the packaging is discarded and there is no logo
  • Testing your cables soon tells you which are best for data transfer.
  • Make sure you buy cables with the USB logo AND SPEED clearly displayed. A quick visit to Amazon will show you that isn't as easy as it sounds :eek: They are more expensive but worth it.
  • Read the spec carefully to make sure it meets both your speed and any PD requirements. It takes time but it’s worth it.
I am sure I could achieve even faster speeds, but my little brain is happy with the improvements I have made. But…………..

Michael

View attachment 1459423
Thank you very much for your efforts in clarifying the different spec cables.(y)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back