• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In and around South Staffordshire. (2 Viewers)

Help...

Anyone help me out please. Been looking for my first L S Wood for the last five years and still no luck. I know they are at Baggeridge but where, any ideas. Behind the sub station seems to noisy now. I did hear two drumming up Lidiots hill a few weeks ago.

Cheers, Steve Norton.

Anyone help me out please. Been looking for my first L S Wood for the last five years and still no luck. I know they are at Baggeridge but where, any ideas. Behind the sub station seems to noisy now. I did hear two drumming up Lidiots hill a few weeks ago.

Cheers, Steve Norton.

Hi Steve, First of all on behalf of all the staff and mods welcome to the forum. You are certainly in the right place for lesser spots, this season i have heard them on Lydiates and at the back of the cafe. They can still be heard at the back of the substation ,especially in the week.(this is probably the same bird as the back of the cafe.) The have also been reported in the trees in the corner of Island pool and also in the spring pool area. Good luck.

As John says, you're in the right place. But as nothing is guaranteed in birding, even more so with lsw. They are there though and usually by determination and a lot of luck I end up at least 1 sighting a year. Not often more than that though :)

Thanks for the info lads. I actually got my first bird on Sunday morning in Shropshire, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Will give those a go at Baggeridge before the leaves put an end to it. Cheers......

tiptoes in ... looks around ... HELLO8-P
Yes guys I am still alive and around ... and my fav time of year Autumn ... Blessed Be ... all those pretty leaves falling into crunchy piles giving us the chance of seeing some wee birdies ...:t:

perhaps dropping in was a good idea as I saw one poss two gold crests, one in the sensory garden today and Bag wood ... thats why I say poss two as it could have been the same bird ;)

Had a pleasant walk around Highgate Common this afternoon, plenty of birdsong around and managed to see 2 Cuckoo's!! They were in the main area of the common in between the 2 main car parks and didn't seem to mind people being around! When we heard the first Cuckoo call we automatically scanned the tops of the trees however we were looking in the wrong place as the bird was just over 2 feet above the ground...never seen a Cuckoo so close to the ground before! Other highlight was seeing our first Swift of the year!!

Edit: Just had a Pipit we saw confirmed as a Tree Pipit!

Attachments

• P1170619 (Custom).JPG
    P1170619 (Custom).JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 24
  • P1170566 (Custom).JPG
    P1170566 (Custom).JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back