• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (3 Viewers)

where abouts are the feeders in harton cem
save me breaking me neck searching for them when i can get round
cheers

If you mean the feeders that Steve, Jan, Davy (thanks Steve :t:) and myself top up, they are in Westoe cem at the fenced off section to the right of the entrance, even closer for you!

Was in about 10.30 today Rob, put more seed on the bird table, filled the niger feeder and topped the some of the feeders up again. Like you have mentioned the 2 at the back are really being hit!...only about half full after you'd topped them up earlier.
Forgot to let you know Jan was in topping them up on Wednesday and a Woodcock was under the two back feeders she had cracking views of the bird within 6 feet away before it took flight. Also 5 Siskins near the bird table on her visit.Of coarse when I ventured up today with the camera...not a sniff!:-O

The bloke who placed the bird table here Rob ....his name is Davy, he's not on the internet.

Sorry I could'nt make it last night, I think the last week or so just caught up with me.

Went back at 4pm with the dogs and had to totally refill the 2 seed feeders in the corner and top up the other 2! Just a robin and a blackbird kicking about there.

Dogs put a woodcock up in the SE corner which only flew about 40 yards before landing in clear view. When flushed again there was 2 of them and this continued all the way around the cem, with the birds just flying about 40 yards before landing, probably tired and hungry in this cold.

I've knocked up a bird cake today made of lard, suet, sultanas, wild bird seed, bran flakes and mealworm in a 1lb loaf tin which probably didn't cost £1! I'll put it on Davys bird table tomorrow and see how popular it is. May also put some fruit down if I get the time between dentists, dancing (youngest daughter not me), shopping and vets as there was a good few redwings and fieldfares kicking about in the trees on Erskine Rd this morning and I would like some photos

I came out of the Post office in Carden Avenue this evening and there was a skylark sitting in the snow. No it didn't have a stamp on it before anyone asks:eek!:

It just looked very tired, cold and hungry. I got very close to it but couldn't catch it. Just shows the shortage of food and water is starting to take its toll :-C

Brian

Hi Brian:t:,

There was a Skylark in Aldi car park this afternoon foraging under the shrubs; I also had a Reed Bunting taking sunflower hearts from the feeders at lunchtime, (a garden first). I imagine both birds were well out of their comfort zones – but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures mate…

Cheers, Dougie.

Last edited:
I've knocked up a bird cake today made of lard, suet, sultanas, wild bird seed, bran flakes and mealworm in a 1lb loaf tin which probably didn't cost £1! I'll put it on Davys bird table tomorrow and see how popular it is

Hi Rob,

Good to meet you last night mate:t:

Just wondering if you'd be kind enough to share your recipe/method as i'm sure a few more of those cakes will be greatly appreciated by my garden visitors..

Cheers, Dougie.

Hi Rob,

Good to meet you last night mate:t:

Just wondering if you'd be kind enough to share your recipe/method as i'm sure a few more of those cakes will be greatly appreciated by my garden visitors..

Cheers, Dougie.

No real recipe as such Dougie, just a case of tossing the lot into a big mixing bowl, warming it in the microwave until its soft enough to bind together when mixed and then pressing the lot into a foil lined tin until cool and set. Great for ground feeders and bird tables and you can just add whatevers to hand, peanuts, cheese, cooked pasta etc

I've got a great book of home made wild bird feed recipes that you're welcome to borrow mate if you're interested :t:

Forgot to mention, hi to all I met last night and thanks for the welcome and a great, informative night. I'll not have remembered all your names, but I'm ok with faces so will keep an eye out :t:

Did you get the day off today Jason, or did you just shut up early?

Forgot to mention, hi to all I met last night and thanks for the welcome and a great, informative night. I'll not have remembered all your names, but I'm ok with faces so will keep an eye out :t:

Did you get the day off today Jason, or did you just shut up early?

Actually I wasnt at Laygate today Rob, I was at the Southwick branch. I move around a lot, I'm like a travelling tablet man! But I'm meant to be at Laygate all next week. Of course I say meant to be...........

Few more from today....

Attachments

• dunlin marine p.jpg
    dunlin marine p.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 38
  • hedge shank.jpg
    hedge shank.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 36
  • g.plover and oyster..jpg
    g.plover and oyster..jpg
    161 KB · Views: 29
Actually I wasnt at Laygate today Rob, I was at the Southwick branch. I move around a lot, I'm like a travelling tablet man! But I'm meant to be at Laygate all next week. Of course I say meant to be...........

You missed out there then mate, the Laygate branch was shut at 2pm when I went past, btw you should try the hot beef dips from Greens instead of them mechanically reclaimed chicken burgers :t:

No real recipe as such Dougie, just a case of tossing the lot into a big mixing bowl, warming it in the microwave until its soft enough to bind together when mixed and then pressing the lot into a foil lined tin until cool and set. Great for ground feeders and bird tables and you can just add whatevers to hand, peanuts, cheese, cooked pasta etc

I've got a great book of home made wild bird feed recipes that you're welcome to borrow mate if you're interested :t:

Thanks Rob:t:
Now't too complicated I'm pleased too see - as that's about the level of my kitchen/cooking skills:eek!:, but I’m sure the birds will appreciate my efforts, whatever the finished dish - and that's the main thing, of course…

Nice one about the book loan, will be in touch mate:t:

Cheers, Dougie.

Question not related to birds:

Anyone recommended any good Fish and Chip shops in the Trow Quarry/Leas/Whitburn area?
The Red hut on Ocean road, Shields mate, Colemen's on this street went down hill this summer as far as I am concerned.;)....poor portions etc.

Last edited:
i wouldnt thank you for colemans fish and chips

is anyone going to the cem in the morning
incase i can make it out
cheers
not that i need anyone to hold me hand like
hahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back