• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (1 Viewer)

Two Woodcock flew over the A19 towards Cobalt Business Park at 07:30. At 08:15 (it was a slow trip to work today) there were 7 apparently white birds flying towards the Penshaw Monument. Only got an unhelpful rear end view. Couldn't see long necks, but suspect they were wild swans. They looked smallish, but too stiff winged for large gulls. Anyone seen 7 Bewicks south of Penshaw?

i wouldnt thank you for colemans fish and chips

is anyone going to the cem in the morning
incase i can make it out
cheers
not that i need anyone to hold me hand like
hahaha

I might be there first thing mate, if not then it will be later in the afternoon as I have the dentists, vets, youngest daughters dancing and shopping to fit in. The feeders will need topping regardless though.

Totally unrelated to birds, but many years ago my granda (who was a shopfitter) was working at Colemans and Trebon and told us never to go to Colemans as it was minging out the back where the food was kept. The Red Hut always gets my business. The only fish and chip shop I can think of near to Shields metro station is that one in Queen Street, but thats a bit out the way for a non local?

Totally unrelated to birds, but many years ago my granda (who was a shopfitter) was working at Colemans and Trebon and told us never to go to Colemans as it was minging out the back where the food was kept. The Red Hut always gets my business. The only fish and chip shop I can think of near to Shields metro station is that one in Queen Street, but thats a bit out the way for a non local?

I can't remember what it was called where I went. But I will remember the Red Hut as this sounds like the best.

Cheers for replies guys. I will eat well after birding in South Tyneside now!:t:

A single Twite showing very well on the cliffs at Roker this morning also Woodcock in off the sea there and 3 Shelduck north and decent selection of waders on the rocks there including Golden Plover and Purple Sandpiper.
Another Woodcock in Roker Park.

Just had yet another Woodcock and a Redshank over the house,my dad also saw a Woodcock over the house yesterday they are everywhere at the moment.

Attachments

• tn_002.JPG
    tn_002.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_005.JPG
    tn_005.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_007.JPG
    tn_007.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 36
  • tn_008.JPG
    tn_008.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_015.JPG
    tn_015.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
Went to Rainton this afternoon in the hope of seeing the Bitterns which would be a lifer for me. Arrived to find Mark and Andrew in the hide who pointed me in the right direction and i got straight onto one of them and didnt wait long at all before both of them put on an excellent show for us.

Nice to have a chat with Mark and Andrew aswell, i was reliably informed that there was a scandinavian Herring Gull there, not quite sure what that is exactly but i must say it did look quite distinctive,no sign of the YL Gull or what it turns was an Iceland Gull not Glaucous as first thought this morning.

all in all had an excellent day today.

Attachments

• tn_036.JPG
    tn_036.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_038.JPG
    tn_038.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 35
  • tn_047.JPG
    tn_047.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 39
  • tn_051.JPG
    tn_051.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_063.JPG
    tn_063.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 39
Hi Folks,:t:

Trow/The Leas, briefly this pm…. 1 SEO in off, 2 Woodcock flushed just south of the mound.

Also, I was very reliably informed this afternoon that there’s a Water Rail showing well on the ice at Tilesheds.:clap:

Cheers, Dougie.

Hebburn Riverside

not to far from home for me today. saw lapwings (may have been the first time for me here) as well as bullfinches chaffinches, great tits blue tits greenfinches and goldfinches. good to see plenty of wrens about in spite of the harsh winter found a wren hole down the side of a tree trunk - probably a roosting site. Also a woodcock/snipe - wish I coulda got the id on this one. just caught it flying across the tyne. kinda surprised not to see more fieldfares and redwings about here.

not to far from home for me today. saw lapwings (may have been the first time for me here) as well as bullfinches chaffinches, great tits blue tits greenfinches and goldfinches. good to see plenty of wrens about in spite of the harsh winter found a wren hole down the side of a tree trunk - probably a roosting site. Also a woodcock/snipe - wish I coulda got the id on this one. just caught it flying across the tyne. kinda surprised not to see more fieldfares and redwings about here.
Keep checking the area out Pete as well as the Cock crow inn site, Lapwings often reside in the winter further down the Tyne opposite the Don on the N/land side,along with good numbers of waders.
Thrushes will be increasing in number I would think in the built up areas around the new year time when food for them is harder to find.
As I have said a few times Hebburn is a vastly under reported area....

Last edited:
Lapwings often reside in the winter further down the Tyne in winter opposite the Don on the N/land side,along with good numbers of waders.

I remember one ST bird race a few years back, when a solitary Greenshank was picked out in that very place (RA). It literally was the only one, and partially hidden in amongst 1000+ other Waders and at distance - great stuff

Cheers, Dougie.

Hi Folks,

Meant to mention earlier, c100 Pinkies 'in off' at Trow, and heading SW about 2pm.

Cheers, Dougie.

Went to Rainton this afternoon in the hope of seeing the Bitterns which would be a lifer for me. Arrived to find Mark and Andrew in the hide who pointed me in the right direction and i got straight onto one of them and didnt wait long at all before both of them put on an excellent show for us.

Nice to have a chat with Mark and Andrew aswell, i was reliably informed that there was a scandinavian Herring Gull there, not quite sure what that is exactly but i must say it did look quite distinctive,no sign of the YL Gull or what it turns was an Iceland Gull not Glaucous as first thought this morning.

all in all had an excellent day today.

Good to catch up with you today mate, think last time I saw you was the Pied-billed Grebe twitch? Hopefully something as big will turn up next spring. Maybe that Oriental Pratincole, I wish.

It was nice to meet your Dad today as well, I think he was over the moon with his Bitterns. I am sure his 50 year wait has been worth it to get 2 in about 10 minutes of each other. I have attached your image as I have tried to sharpen it up. Any good?

Scandinavian Herring Gull (larus argentatus) is sadly not s separate species just a race of Herring Gull from, you guessed it Scandinavia! Still an interesting gull and quite a distinctive mantle color. If you check out my blog post you can see Mark's Bittern images as well as the images of the Scandinavian Herring Gull I showed you through my scope as well as a second bird, Mark pointed it out to me as you were leaving.

Blog post: http://andrewkinghorn.blogspot.com/2010/12/left-wing-right-wing-no-white-wing.html

Attachments

• Bittern-AdamW.jpg
    Bittern-AdamW.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I remember one ST bird race a few years back, when a solitary Greenshank was picked out in that very place (RA). It literally was the only one, and partially hidden in amongst 1000+ other Waders and at distance - great stuff

Cheers, Dougie.
That bird I remember well! if it had,nt been for Ross's spotting skills (scope wise) this day none us us would have seen the bird.
The Lad is well up for another ST bird race this new year, but he might have to shoot off looking for SB Curlew else where!...:eek!::t: no contest really.;)

Northern Herring Gulls or Scandinavian Herring Gulls are larger than the Herring Gulls we see in the Uk and have darker grey wings and less black on the wing tips.Very occasionally we get Herring gulls from the Baltic which have yellowish legs.

I had a male sparrowhawk in the garden for a few minutes today. This is the fourth time I 've been visited by one since early summer.

If anyone is interested in seeing curlews, there are often a few on the playing field of the college, at Hebburn. I work there Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning and have seen them frequently, although I haven't seen them while the snow has been around.

That bird I remember well! if it had,nt been for Ross's spotting skills (scope wise) this day none us us would have seen the bird.
The Lad is well up for another ST bird race this new year, but he might have to shoot off looking for SB Curlew else where!...:eek!::t: no contest really.;)

SB Curlew, I would drop most things to go and see one of these aswell. Quite happily travel abroad to see one of those. Might even be shorter day than my Cornwall trip;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back