• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (3 Viewers)

Not sure what all the controversy is? Can you explain?
Like Jason said, the whole idea is to have a day out birding locally and a bit of fun. Why get all worked up if others end up with a few more species. Isn't it normal for the one team who is the winner to have a a higher total?!

Personally, given the choice, I'd rather do a bird race for a day than go chasing year ticks all year.

Mark
Yes it is normal for one to team to have a higher total from the other teams. But not with some unlikely birds that have been claimed for the styneside area in January.I can remember one particular bird which was claimed Crossbill .A couple of days after the race i talked to a few locals who took part in the bird race and they were very sceptical about the Crossbill sighting.

Last edited:
Had another visit to Saltholme today - this time with tripod :t:

On arrival, the greeter advised that LEO's were visible but well obscured :-C

So off to Wildlife Watchpoint to get a few clicks on camera. Not much to go at i'm afraid, managed to see Blue & Great Tits, Reed Buntings, Shoveller, Teal, Moorhen, Coot, Robin, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Redshank, Water Rail and distant Redwing & Fieldfare plus 4 Mute Swans overhead.

Access paths were very dodgy today with melted snow that had turned to ice with water sat on the surface - glad i didn't walk to LEO viewpoint in those conditions with tripod camera etc...

Couple of pics;

Attachments

• DSC_2124-12-29-10_2127.jpg
    DSC_2124-12-29-10_2127.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_2125-12-29-10_2128.jpg
    DSC_2125-12-29-10_2128.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_2131-12-29-10_2131.jpg
    DSC_2131-12-29-10_2131.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 23
Another canny day around the doors.

Myself and Dougie decided to check a few sites out today instead of heading off out of the area on a rare trip out together.

The first stop off was the Tilesheads LNR(after driving past Boldon flats). Despite both of us bringing the left overs of the Christmas fare and grain, peanuts etc. we could not entice the local ducks etc. or the Water rail out to feed... Even though we know it likes Apple pie!:-O

Colliery woods-

Fantastic start to this visit here, just as we were getting out of the car 3 Jays flew over towards the cricket ground area! best number Ive seen here.
The area around the outskirts of the Cotswolds est produced- 2 Willow tits, all the Common birds along with Bullfinch and better numbers of Coal tits than usual.
Ringing was taking place in one of the younger plantations and we were lucky enough to see at close quarters some of the differences in plumage with Lesser Redpoll. Also a couple of Mealy Redpolls were seen here. Around 30 Redpolls were seen flying around the area with Siskin and Goldfinchs.
Also Fieldfares and Sparrowhawks.

Slake road(Don estuary)-

Largest number of Teal we have witnessed here some 200 along with 6 Wigeon, 1 F. Tuftie, 1 Dadchick, 2 Dunlin, 1 juv. Mute, 1 Snipe and the usual Redshanks and Curlew.
30+Redpolls flew around a few times but never landed.

so there's no cash prize or holiday abroad. i might not bother thought i would at least get a mention in the gazette that's if we won like

Believe it or not Keith, there actually IS a battered old trophy kicking about somewhere!!! Its not exactly as impressive as the FA Cup or anything, but it used to be presented to the winning team at the end of the race. Is it still about somewhere Steve?

Believe it or not Keith, there actually IS a battered old trophy kicking about somewhere!!! Its not exactly as impressive as the FA Cup or anything, but it used to be presented to the winning team at the end of the race. Is it still about somewhere Steve?
Believe so Jason though Ive never set sight on it myself, as Ive only been a member of the winning team once in 4 years(apart from last years "Blazin slades" team;)) but loved taking part.:t:

Few shots of different Lesser polls ringed today.

Attachments

• l.poll.jpg
    l.poll.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 28
  • l.poll.2.jpg
    l.poll.2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 29
  • l.poll.3.jpg
    l.poll.3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Boldon Bittern

An interesting post if you're not already aware - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=188651

Hi Folks,

I can confirm that the ‘Boldon Bittern’ was indeed rescued from an almost certain death, just before Christmas. The bird was literally picked up off the ice on Testo’s pond on Christmas Eve at around 4pm – it was in a very bad way and would definitely not have lasted the night – I’m almost sure the local dog fox was getting his knife & fork ready for the big occasion…..

Anyway, a quick update on the bird, and its good news…… It’s been eating three chicks per day, along with Asda fresh fish, and a high protein supplement ever since its rescue. I visited the bird on Monday, and I was very reassured to see it was being very well cared for. It spent the first night in a warm bathroom where its body temperature increased to near normal, and is now in a garden aviary where the carer had gone to the effort of planting it up with reedmace to help with the birds comfort and recovery….

Defra were informed on the day of the birds rescue, and we are awaiting a visit from the BTO to make the necessary ringing and recordings before the bird is released back into the wild…….

A big ‘hats off’ to the rescuer – you’re due some good press – well done mate!:clap:

Cheers, Dougie.

Hi Folks,

I can confirm that the ‘Boldon Bittern’ was indeed rescued from an almost certain death, just before Christmas. The bird was literally picked up off the ice on Testo’s pond on Christmas Eve at around 4pm – it was in a very bad way and would definitely not have lasted the night – I’m almost sure the local dog fox was getting his knife & fork ready for the big occasion…..

Anyway, a quick update on the bird, and its good news…… It’s been eating three chicks per day, along with Asda fresh fish, and a high protein supplement ever since its rescue. I visited the bird on Monday, and I was very reassured to see it was being very well cared for. It spent the first night in a warm bathroom where its body temperature increased to near normal, and is now in a garden aviary where the carer had gone to the effort of planting it up with reedmace to help with the birds comfort and recovery….

Defra were informed on the day of the birds rescue, and we are awaiting a visit from the BTO to make the necessary ringing and recordings before the bird is released back into the wild…….

A big ‘hats off’ to the rescuer – you’re due some good press – well done mate!:clap:

Cheers, Dougie.

Great stuff Dougie!

Good job he found might have been shot or kids might have killed it.
The bird would have not lasted the night Martin by what we have been told. Very weak though lack of feeding and the cold. Picked up almost at the feet of the rescurer who thankfully has had dealings in the past with sick/injured birds.

Great news about the Bittern, well done that lad :t:

I'm off on a pre bird race tomorrow to see what I can achieve without the local experts to help. It'll just be me and the eldest son and the goal is to visit as many sites as possible and hopefully add a few year ticks (or should that be 3 month ticks?) to my cr@p total.

After my year tick for a Brambling yesterday, the cem was full of them today, they even outnumbered the Chaffinches :eek!:

The last few days I have had a Fieldfare visiting the garden, feeding on apple windfalls that get left on the garden for the resident Blackbirds. It is only now that the apples can be seen now that the snow has receded.

Regards

John

Did my "pre bird race" today which I'm going to rename the "big bird dip" :-C

Due to circumstances beyond my control (kids!) I didn't get out until 10am by which time the dog walkers, mountain bikers and families were out in force which didn't help.

Westoe cem 12 (very poor)
South Marine Park 5 (what!!)
Sandhaven / Pier 4 (where have all the Purple Sandpipers gone?)
Trow 5 (very busy)
Mound 2 (I should have give up at this point!)
The Leas 2
Marsden Bay 2
Jackies Beach 0
Marsden Quarry 5
Boldon Flats 0
Don saltmarsh 3
Colliery Wood / Station Burn 6

Then bad light stopped play with a very poor total of 46 species in just under 6 hours. To top it all I tripped over a stump and pulled my left calf muscle and then slipped on the ice and aggravated the groin strain I've had for the last fortnight.

Roll on the 9th and I'll see how the experts do it :t:

Last edited:
North Sandhaven,waders rested up on the rocks here-

25 Ringed plover
22 Sanderling
37 Dunlin
3 Turnstones
2 Purple Sands
No Redshank or Oystercatchers here on this visit.

Pier- 3 Purple sands and 6 Turnstones along with 30+ fishermen.

South Marine park- 45 Mutes(best count of the month for me), 6 Tufties and a pair of Pochards of note. Usual birds around the treed area.

3 Med. gulls along the coast road- 2 on the "Blacka hills" patch, a adult and a 2nd winter bird. Both have been in the area for some time along with the resident Marsden car park bird.

Attachments

• ringed plovers.jpg
    ringed plovers.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 27
  • p.sands.jpg
    p.sands.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 21
  • blacka med.jpg
    blacka med.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 30
  • blacka 2nd winter med.jpg
    blacka 2nd winter med.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 28
  • carpark med.jpg
    carpark med.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 22
3 Med. gulls along the coast road- 2 on the "Blacka hills" patch, a adult and a 2nd winter bird. Both have been in the area for some time along with the resident Marsden car park bird.

Where is Marsden car park, do you mean beside Marsden Grotto? I have seen a bird at Whitburn Steel once or twice last year. Does that bird still get?

Where is Marsden car park, do you mean beside Marsden Grotto? I have seen a bird at Whitburn Steel once or twice last year. Does that bird still get?
The carpark past Marsden Grotto that's a very regular spot for one.Also there's a adult at Whitburn steel,There's at least 4 Med gulls in styneside.If you see all 4 on the bird race you cannot put all four down for the total i expect one team might.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back