• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (1 Viewer)

The bird would have not lasted the night Martin by what we have been told. Very weak though lack of feeding and the cold. Picked up almost at the feet of the rescurer who thankfully has had dealings in the past with sick/injured birds.

On a day when I am sulking about missing yet another Ring-necked Duck, this has made my year. What a crackin' story, and so much comic potential. I can imagine 'Er Indoors' face when the rescuer delivers not a turkey nor goose, but a Bittern. :eek!:

Superb!

I take it the Good Samaritan has the funds to keep it fed - if not, I'll gladly send a few quid! :t:

PM me if required.

Now I hope all you good people participating in the bird race next will avoid any controversy and play by the rules. I'd hate to think anyone would try to cheat by wrongly identifying a Kestrel as an over wintering Hobby, or anything like that.;);)

Good luck :t:

On a day when I am sulking about missing yet another Ring-necked Duck, this has made my year. What a crackin' story, and so much comic potential. I can imagine 'Er Indoors' face when the rescuer delivers not a turkey nor goose, but a Bittern. :eek!:

Superb!

I take it the Good Samaritan has the funds to keep it fed - if not, I'll gladly send a few quid! :t:

PM me if required.

Hi Folks,

Big thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, and many thanks for the kind offer Gordon, but it’s really not necessary mate:clap::t:. The rescuer/carer has had reward enough in the fact the Bittern has pulled through – he’s absolutely delighted (as I’m sure we all are)…

The bird will be released shortly, and either Steve or I will post details as and when we get them…..

All the best!

Cheers, Dougie.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 43
Got the morning off tomorrow and plus some P.M.free i.e.Circa 9am,to bird watch from South Shields (if I leave the car at North Marine Park area)down to Whitburn (By Latimers) and back or reverse route, to 2.00pm or probably alot less !
Any thoughts ?
Natural inclanation is to go to Marine Park and hit Trow before it is busy ( been ther 20+ times but still never seen a Little Owl !) and go South.

Hi Folks,

Big thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, and many thanks for the kind offer Gordon, but it’s really not necessary mate:clap::t:. The rescuer/carer has had reward enough in the fact the Bittern has pulled through – he’s absolutely delighted (as I’m sure we all are)…

The bird will be released shortly, and either Steve or I will post details as and when we get them…..

All the best!

Cheers, Dougie.

When Seggs told me the guy had put some reed bed up for it I thought that was fantastic. I bet it doesn't want to leave :-O

Now I hope all you good people participating in the bird race next will avoid any controversy and play by the rules. I'd hate to think anyone would try to cheat by wrongly identifying a Kestrel as an over wintering Hobby, or anything like that.;);)

:-O:-O:-O very very good!

Had a couple of hours at Clara Vale with my mate Michael Eccles today..

Pretty much the usual suspects but was happy to see a small flock of 7 Siskins in the Hawthorn tree.

Other birds seen; GS Woodpecker, Mallards, Moorhen, Water Rail, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Willow Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Jay, Sparrowhawk, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Bullfinch, Dunnock, Magpie, Blackbirds, Woodpigeons, Carrion Crow, Heron (through the trees in main reserve pool) & Pheasants

Couple of Siskin pictures and a GS Woody from Thornley the other day;

Attachments

• DSC_2191-12-30-10_2181.jpg
    DSC_2191-12-30-10_2181.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_2206-12-30-10_2196.jpg
    DSC_2206-12-30-10_2196.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1937-12-26-10_1963.jpg
    DSC_1937-12-26-10_1963.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 24
Got the morning off tomorrow and plus some P.M.free i.e.Circa 9am,to bird watch from South Shields (if I leave the car at North Marine Park area)down to Whitburn (By Latimers) and back or reverse route, to 2.00pm or probably alot less !
Any thoughts ?
Natural inclanation is to go to Marine Park and hit Trow before it is busy ( been ther 20+ times but still never seen a Little Owl !) and go South.

Hi Andy,

There were two Little Owls in Trow this afternoon, photos below.... One of them regularly sits on the branches of a Whitebeam tree, which actually grows out of the rock face towards the north end of the quarry, and is quite easy to see. The other bird sits in a rock cavity, towards the bottom of the black path, at the southern end of the quarry, quite close to Frenchman's. but this one's a bit trickier to pick out.

I'd be more than happy to point them out sometime if you'd like, but can't make it tomorrow mate...

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 37
Hi Folks,

All the best!

Cheers, Dougie.
Aye Dougie a few folk have expressed interest regards the birds release being made public.

Nee wonder the lad has a good food source looking after these two! with others..which are all legal.

Attachments

• bit.jpg
    bit.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 46
  • snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 39

As if anyone would, ;)

Hi Andy,

There were two Little Owls in Trow this afternoon, photos below.... One of them regularly sits on the branches of a Whitebeam tree, which actually grows out of the rock face towards the north end of the quarry, and is quite easy to see. The other bird sits in a rock cavity, towards the bottom of the black path, at the southern end of the quarry, quite close to Frenchman's. but this one's a bit trickier to pick out.

I'd be more than happy to point them out sometime if you'd like, but can't make it tomorrow mate...

Big cheers and thanks for the offer. As you have maybe seen I live in Ashbrooke,Sunderland.
South Tyneside(particularly),Teesside,(where I was enjoyably today) are on my footprint, but feel that much more is on offer locally but (thankfully) now I have a job again winter watching is limited to weekends other than bank hols ! Never the less I am well up for info on local sites ! Look forward to hearing from you.Thank you.

Big cheers and thanks for the offer. As you have maybe seen I live in Ashbrooke,Sunderland.
South Tyneside(particularly),Teesside,(where I was enjoyably today) are on my footprint, but feel that much more is on offer locally but (thankfully) now I have a job again winter watching is limited to weekends other than bank hols ! Never the less I am well up for info on local sites ! Look forward to hearing from you.Thank you.

Hello Andy. I'm also a Sunderland lad, and next year I'm planning to explore my hometown a lot more than I have in the past. If I see anything decent I'll let you know!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back