• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In AND around Sunderland (2 Viewers)

Whitburn Steels 1020-1225.
60 Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, c1000 Golden Plover, 4 Knot, c50 Sanderling, c60+ Dunlin, 3 Bar Tailed Godwit, Curlew, 62 Redshank, 3 Common Sandpiper, 64 Turnstone.

Whitburn Steels 1000-1210.
Oystercatcher (100+), Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Knot (1), Sanderling, Dunlin, Bar Tailed Godwit (3), Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone.

Not a bird, but a sighting that I hope someone could help with.

I was at the League Cup match this week at the Stadium of Light, and there were a couple of bats flitting about below the away supporters for most of the second half, and I was wondering if anyone knows what species they could be. I guess they could be pretty much any of the commoner species, but they appeared to fly up into the roof to "rest" so I wonder if anyone knows of any bat roost recorded at the stadium.

(For the record, they didn't look too impressed by the Sunderland performance....)

Barmston Pond 1015-1200.
8 Little Grebe, 1 Grey Heron, 16 Teal, 13 Gadwall, Mallard, 25 Shoveler, 1 Tufted Duck, 6 Coot, 6 Moorhen, 41 Black Headed Gull. 11 Herring Gull and 2 Lbb Gull.

Whitburn Steels 1015-1200.
Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover (c20+), c200 Lapwing over, c500 Golden Plover over, Sanderling (c40+), Dunlin, Curlew, Redshank, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Pied Wagtail,. Carrion Crow, Starling, Goldfinch, Linnet.

Whitburn Steels 1025-1115
Cormorant, Grey Heron (1) skein of c50 Pink Feet flew west, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover (c30) c2000 Golden Plover over, Sanderling (c70+), Dunlin, Curlew, Turnstone, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Rock Pipit, Carrion Crow, Starling.

Whitburn Steels 1000-1200.
Red Throated Diver Sth, 80 Oystercatcher, 9 Lapwing over, c2000 Golden Plover, c80 Sanderling, 8 Purple Sandpiper, Dunlin, 2 Curlew, c150 Redshank, 20 Turnstone, Black Headed Gull, Herring Gull, Common Gull, Gbb Gull, Rock Pipit, Carrion Crow, Starling.

Barmston Pond 1010-1130. 11-12-15.
1 Little Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 12 Shelduck, drake Teal, 12 Gadwall, 4 Mallard, 8 Shoveler, 4 Pochard, 6 Tufted Duck, 4 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 8 Black Headed Gull, 18 Herring Gull, 1 Common Gull.

Barmston Pond 1010-1120
2 Little Grebe, 12 Gadwall, 22 Mallard, 8 Shoveler, 10 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 25 Black Headed Gull, 5 Herring Gull and 1 Common Gull.

went for my regular visit to barmston pond this morning and just turned around and left in a state of shock the whole area as been completly destroyed,they have cut down all the trees and the path leading to the screens have gone so there is no acess tho the pond dont know if the screens are still there

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me - I am new to this type of thing.

At the weekend, Saturday 23rd January, I was walking from Tynemouth towards St Mary's lighthouse. Quite near to Tynemouth there a strip extending out into the sea (rock), upon which were a large gathering of black and white birds. I was quite far away, but they were mostly black with some white. I though, from a distance that they looked like black guillemots, but would it be likely that they would be there at this time of year, and gathered in a group in this way? Or is it more likely they were oyster catchers? Or something altogether else?

Any thoughts much appreciated - I've been trying to work it out for days and thought someone else may have some better knowledge to help!

Many thanks!
Shauna

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me - I am new to this type of thing.

At the weekend, Saturday 23rd January, I was walking from Tynemouth towards St Mary's lighthouse. Quite near to Tynemouth there a strip extending out into the sea (rock), upon which were a large gathering of black and white birds. I was quite far away, but they were mostly black with some white. I though, from a distance that they looked like black guillemots, but would it be likely that they would be there at this time of year, and gathered in a group in this way? Or is it more likely they were oyster catchers? Or something altogether else?

Any thoughts much appreciated - I've been trying to work it out for days and thought someone else may have some better knowledge to help!

Many thanks!
Shauna

Probably Oystercatchers.

Barmston Pond 0840-0930.
1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Greylag Goose, 1 Canada Goose, 3 Shelduck, 3 Gadwall, 3 Mallard, 7 Shoveler, 4 Pochard, c8 Tufted Duck, 6 Coot, 3-4 Moorhen, c100+ Black Headed Gull, c50+ Herring Gull and 5 Lbb Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back