• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Fieldguides? (1 Viewer)

Alan G

I'm off to India next February and I'm suffering the usual quandry of what fieldguide to buy.

We're concentrating on Ranthambore, Bandhavgarh and Kanha NPs.

I know Delhi & Ranthambore will be covered by the Northern Guide but are the latter NPs covered in the Northern Guide or the Southern Guide?

Or should I just pick up the Grimmit Pocket Guide to the Indian Subcontinent and be done with?

Thanks in advance

Alan

I already did but they didn't answer my question about whether Kanha & Bandhavgar are covered by the Northern Guide.
The area of coverage of Birds of Northern India comprises Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and all states to the northwest, and so includes Ranthambhor (Rajasthan), and Kanha and Bandhavgarh (Madhya Pradesh). [The Birdwatching areas section even has entries for Ranthambhor and Bandhavgarh.]

Or you could consider Rasmussen & Anderton 2005 (Birds of South Asia: The Ripley Guide). Only Vol 1 (Field Guide, including plates & maps) is essential in the field, and is not much larger than Birds of Northern India (which has no distribution maps!).

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the gen.

I'll pick up a Northern India guide I reckon.

Cheers

Alan

ps: Microtus - no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back