• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Ocean - 560 km NW of Australia/ Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!

Indian Ocean - 560 km NW of Australia

Yes, I was recovering from my falcon action when suddenly there was a Kingfisher landing on one of the rails on deck.

I spotted one Kingfisher yesterday, it was too dark for pictures (pictures 1 + 2) Sacred Kingfisher was the only option in my eBird checklist

Picture 3 was taken this morning and now there was more options. Sacred and Torres Kingfisher, if I had seen it back home in Bangkok I would have reported it as a Collared Kingfisher.
First time I even hear about the Torresian and I investigate on internet, and it seems like both of them are Collared Kingfisher.

Any ideas on this kingfisher? Should I report it as a sacred or torresian?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
I'm not very familiar with the possible options, but I would suggest it is Red-backed Kingfisher: https://ebird.org/species/rebkin2
Note the streaked crown and back, black eyestripe and rufous rump visible on your 3rd picture.
Compare this bird for example: ML609561685 - Red-backed Kingfisher - Macaulay Library

I'm not sure how often they are seen offshore, but it could be an interesting record.

Thank you jonallcock!!

Highly appreciated for help yet again.

Never heard of Red-backed Kingfisher before, and was not any option.

You are right and I am thinking about Butty. He once wrote that never mind how bad a picture is it might help for ID. Of course, to an certain extent.

Yesterday, dark when the kingfisher showed up. I took a lot of pictures and the two I saved was the best. A lot of garbage, and the last pictures I took and the bird was gone.

I scroll through the picture and I see the bird in flight and the back is all rufous red. I thought it was because of poor picture and it went to the bin.

Should have kept it.

Anyway, this is a new bird for me and I thank you again!

Cheers!
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back