• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on Ranganthittu? (1 Viewer)

dwminnich

I am considering a day trip from Bangalore to Ranganthittu on an upcoming business trip. Can anyone tell me what species I am likely to see there in mid-November? Will the winter migration have started at that point? Any suggestions for other birding hotspots I might visit on the way up or back?

All help appreciated,

--dave

Hi Dave

We do have some information in Opus on this reserve, which includes some links. You might find this helpful until someone else arrives with some more information for you.

Yes Dave... Winter migration would have started at that point... You are likely to see painted storms, pelicans, cormorants, streak throated swallows. You can get more information on bngbirds google group

Thank you, both.

Dsr3m, yes, I've just joined that group and will be looking for information there, as well.

--dave

Here's what I saw on a fairly short visit in late Dec08 - not an identical time of year but maybe useful. We visited between Mudamalai and Thattekkad on our itinerary. If memory serves, it was at the end of a long and unpleasant drive...
Andy.

(1+ = common)
Asian Openbill 6+
Black-headed Ibis 6
Brahminy Kite 1+
Cormorant 1+
Crested Treeswift 3+
Fruit Bat 100+
Great Thick-knee Great views of 10+ and calling
Great White Egret 1+
Grey Heron 5+
Indian Spot-billed Duck 1 in flight
Intermediate Egret 1+
Little Cormorant 1+
Little Egret 1+
Mugger Crocodile 6
Night Heron 6+
Oriental Darter 1+
Otter 1 - sp?
Painted Stork 10+ including one very close perched bird
Pied Kingfisher 4
Purple Heron 10+, some great views
River Tern 10+, some astonishing close views from the boat of birds perched on rocks in the river
Spoonbill 20+
Stork-billed Kingfisher 1
Streak-throated Swallow Poor views of 2
Woolly-necked Stork 1

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back