• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information towards an ID please - Pipit in the Vale of Glamorgan? (2 Viewers)

hopster

Wales
Hi all

Relatively new to careful bird ID'ing of less obvious species and realising how many different smallish, brownish birds there are!

On the meadow above a sea cliff in the Vale of Glamorgan just West of Cardiff in South Wales. I saw a pair of birds walking around studiously in the long grass finding and eating food - primarily crane flies which got gobbled up with some enthusiam. At first look I though they might be thrushes because of their approximate shape and dappled brownish upper bodies. Once I got the binoculars onto them I realised they were a bit smaller and more slender, and with a cream or pale lemon chest and underside, with the same colour running in a band along the eye. When they take off they have a high-pitched and very short "chip, chip" which sounds a bit like an alarm call. Perhaps like Blackbird but quieter, shorter and less metallic in tone.

Looking through a couple of bird books I am wondering if this is a Pipit of some kind; maybe a Meadow Pipit. Other possibilities I think might be some kind of Wagtail or Lark. Any other thoughts?

TIA

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back