• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Gulf Winter 2012/13 (1 Viewer)

Morning spent birding Pak Thale/Laem Pak Bia, numbers of waders generally poor

Pak Thale
Spoon-billed Sandpiper - adult winter plumage
Great Knot 650
Dunlin 1
Ruff 2
Painted Stork 13
Heuglin's Gull 2
Greater Spotted Eagle immature

Laem Pak Bia
Spot-billed Pelican
Mangrove Whistler
White-shouldered Starling 12

Neil

www.norfolkbirderinthailand.blogspot.com

Good to know that there is a Spooner back at Pak Thale already.

Mr Tii saw one at Khok Kham at the start of the month.

Sometime your lucky! I grabbed a picture of a flock with small waders at LPB today. Didn't see what they were before i came home and started edit the picture. At least 6 Spoon-bills(if not seven)!
There are good numbers of waders around now. Estimated 5000 Great Knots. The probably stopped here instead of going further South. 30.11 I counted 42 Pied Avocets(which should be a record) and Dave Sargent counted 70 asian dowitchers at the beach at Pak Thale and 52 Nordmann's at LPB!/Tom

Attachments

• FSI_9762.jpg
    FSI_9762.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 91
I did a check of the bill of all 11 birds in the flock. At first I thought that there were a few other waders but the are all Spoonbills!

Attachments

• Spoonbill.jpg
    Spoonbill.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 93
Brilliant Tom, I don't recall ever hearing of so many (on the Gulf) and obviously when they split up, much harder to assess. Great news indeed!

Brilliant Tom, I don't recall ever hearing of so many (on the Gulf) and obviously when they split up, much harder to assess. Great news indeed!

Mark,

There was a claim of 16 at Pak Thale in winter 2003/4.

Certainly Tom's record seems to be the highest count here, for the best part of a decade. Perhaps Slimbridge is missing a few ;)

Best wishes

Dave

There seems to be difefrent opinions of the bird in the picture that it's in fact a Broad-billed Sandpiper. The "spoon" is just some strange illusion. All bills look the same but I'm ready to admit that it like that even if I got confirmation of the species at first. Petty. It would have been a good record.

There seems to be difefrent opinions of the bird in the picture that it's in fact a Broad-billed Sandpiper. The "spoon" is just some strange illusion. All bills look the same but I'm ready to admit that it like that even if I got confirmation of the species at first. Petty. It would have been a good record.

Hi Tom,

so, just to be clear - are you saying you now think that all the birds in this photo are Broad-billed Sands?

Thanks

Dave

I havn't yet done a recheck but it seems when you look at the bill "head on" that the base of the bill appears like a spoon. There might be other than B-b Sandpipers too. I have to do enlargments of all the birds. Might take a while.

There are 10 birds with the same head pattern,which would make them B-b Sanddpipers. I must say that I never experienced anything like this before having only one picture where the bill looks like a spoon. In this case it fooled me and it was only a illusion. A lesson learned. Never belive what you think you see!

I didn't even look at the cropped image Tom, but agree, that's a Broad-billed. I can certainly see what appears to be at least one Spooner in the first image, probably two. A good feature to look for is the very white forehead and often isolated dark ear covert. The bird with both wings up centre looks like a Spoonie and possibly the bird, second to the left of the trio with the former.

Last edited:
The long staying Kittiwake made a visit to Hua Hin today. It's been around the fishing pier and very easy to see. /Tom

Attachments

• FSJ_3010.jpg
    FSJ_3010.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 40
  • FSJ_3058.jpg
    FSJ_3058.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back