• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Install Problem (1 Viewer)

BKA Mike

Hi All
Last weekend this silver surfer bought a new computer P/Bell Q6600 3GB Ram 320 GB HD with Vista H/Premium.
First item to install is PSP Photo X2 Used PSP 8 on old computer without problems.
New computer is not going on line so bought a new-boxed X2
Ran disc but install stops with notice me that I need to disable RoxMMTray App Module and Rox Media DB9
Going into Windows Defender / Tools / Software Explorer I find first item under
Sonic Solutions / Common SDK but the Remove, Disable, Enable, buttons are greyed out. Need HELP Please
Many Thanks
Mike

Mike, according to a Google search for this, in the Roxio app:

"I believe that if you open up the Watched Folders Settings and uncheck the "Watch folders at startup" option, the system tray Icon should not show up any longer." This apparently works

Note that is not Stop Watching Folders - that just stops in this startup, but doesn't remove the process from the System Tray

Otherwise you'll have to stop it using MSCONFIG probably.

another Mike (Silver? - would be if I had enough left . . .)

Hi All
Last weekend this silver surfer bought a new computer P/Bell Q6600 3GB Ram 320 GB HD with Vista H/Premium.
First item to install is PSP Photo X2 Used PSP 8 on old computer without problems.
New computer is not going on line so bought a new-boxed X2
Ran disc but install stops with notice me that I need to disable RoxMMTray App Module and Rox Media DB9
Going into Windows Defender / Tools / Software Explorer I find first item under
Sonic Solutions / Common SDK but the Remove, Disable, Enable, buttons are greyed out. Need HELP Please
Many Thanks
Mike

hmmm ... Windows Defender is for defending your computer again baddies; not proper programs and their files. That's why all that's greyed out ... those aren't choices for it to handle!

Try doing the installation of the new program in "safe mode". This way all those other programs not needed for the actual running of the computer will not be on and therefore shouldn't interfere with the installation. The RoxMMTray App Module and Rox Media DB9 are part of Roxio's programs which I rather suspect you want to keep.

Sorry, Explorer in Defender is also for enabling and disabling programs - possibly temporarily and to stop background processes running which just eat up resouces. Folder watching is just such a one. In this case we just want to disable Roxio from the system tray long enough to install PSP. If you want to recheck folder watching afterwards and use resource, you can. Personally, like a lot of others, I prefer to start it from Start - All Programs, when I need it.

Neither way is removing the program - even if disabled in MSCONFIG, it is not removed and can always be enabled again.

The tray bit is not needed to run the computer

Sorry, Explorer in Defender is also for enabling and disabling programs - possibly temporarily and to stop background processes running which just eat up resouces. Folder watching is just such a one. In this case we just want to disable Roxio from the system tray long enough to install PSP. If you want to recheck folder watching afterwards and use resource, you can. Personally, like a lot of others, I prefer to start it from Start - All Programs, when I need it.

Neither way is removing the program - even if disabled in MSCONFIG, it is not removed and can always be enabled again.

The tray bit is not needed to run the computer

"now they tell me!" gee ... missed that option somehow and deinstalled it in an attempt to get another program to work correctly |8(|

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back