• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Intelligent blackbirds (1 Viewer)

So I was helping my mom in her backyard garden the other day and spotted a Common Blackbird sitting on a wire high above the garden for quite some time. At first I thought that it was going to sing, however it remained completely silent so I stopped paying attention. Later that day mom told me that after we finished our work and I went home, she saw a pair of blackbirds happily feasting on freshly dug soil when she looked out of the window. So looks like the blackbird was patiently waiting for us to leave, knowing that there will be something to eat.
I heard similar stories about European Robins too.

LOL Dmitriy, I think you're probably right. They can be quite cheeky sometimes, like the Robins.

Sounds like your mum is his friend!!

I absolutely love blackbirds!

I think they recognise and remember faces, much like crows.
I think the family I’m feeding in the garden this year are the young of last years family, who now have chicks of their own. They seem to come much closer to humans when I’m there alone, which leads me to think they recognise me from last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back