• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Internet issues (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I've been having issues, accessing the Birdlife Cyprus website, nobody else has and their site is working as it should but we get this message.

This site can’t be reached​

birdlifecyprus.org took too long to respond.

No other sites are affected, so when my wife got home from work, we tried the following.

We first tried getting on to the site using four, different devices, my laptop and phone and my little girls tablet, all failed.

We then tried my wifes phone which failed but, it then worked when she did not use our domestic wifi and used her roaming service instead.

We then tried using a 'hotspot' from her phone with the other devices and that didn't work either. I will contact our provider to see what he has to say but it's an odd one, any of you technically adept folks have any ideas what might be the issue.

Edit: Don't know why I didn't try this before, I used Tor and it worked?

Last edited:
Try installing a VPN on your device, set your country to something other than your own, and see if that helps.

I guess your provider sends you to a specific IP address server, and that this server for some reason today does not include the birdlifecyprus.org address, or that a filter for what is allowable sites is filtering out this particular address (and who knows what else). Your provider should be able to correct this eventually.
Niels

I've no doubt Niels is correct, as my experience wouldn't explain the issue appearing on multiple devices, but...I've had a similar issue with random websites on my partner's Sky ISP account in UK, which I don't experience in Portugal. Using a VPN helps, but clearing the cache on my browser helps too - I hadn't appreciated with Safari / Mac at least that clearing browsing history isn't the same as clearing your cache. It's amazing how much junk accumulates in it, and sometimes a file from a site you've visited before seems to prevent you from opening it again. Specifically I had this issue with the Jet 2 airline website - I had to clear all traces of my previous visit before it would load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back