• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Buzzard? (1 Viewer)

Shouldn't adults Eastern imperial eagle show very dark brown body and underwing-coverts?! And the tail shouldn't show a large dark terminal band and other thinner bands towards the base?

Looking longer and with more care to the first pic I fand tail and fingers a little too long for lesser spotted.

Michele

In my mind, there are maybe two options to the first bird, which have long fingers: immature (5th or 6th plumage, almost adult) Eastern Imperial, which has darker tail feathers, but also very dark wings too or adult Steppe, which varies rather much.
The Eastern Imperial Eagle seems to be rather clear cut pale area in the neck (similarly as Goldie) in many pics, so could this feature be against EIE in this case?

I think its the impression of a pale nape/neck (together with the rather long tail) that made me think Goldie/Imps on the thumbnail.

Went off and looked at some pics and illustrations then came back and looked at pic 1 again.

It does give a big eagle impression as a thumbnail but opened up I still think it looks weedy in terms of bulk for a big eagle (Imp or Goldie).

The bird appears to be flapping/flexing its wings so primary length and spacing would be altered from gliding/soaring views, so may not be reliable.

The nearer wing shows a pale comma (possibly a second) at the base of the primaries and the underwing coverts are paler than the primaries/secondaries (which appear rather dark and plain) - so I'm still edging to Lesser-spot (it would also fit better size wise with the title of the thread - presumably del69 thought that's what it would be, and big eagles when seen reasonably well tend to look like big eagles)

Goldie & Imp adult at least would show the opposite in underwing pattern.

The pale head is affected by the sunlight on it - probably nt as pale as it appears plus it also appears to grade into the slightly darker body.

Goldie and Imp also have a more obvious contrast with the pale crown/nape with the rest of the body. See pic of imm GE attached - even in shadow wings look mottled underneath and contrasting nape.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• flusher 3_1.jpg
    flusher 3_1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 65
First pic looks like golden eagle, tail is as long as the width of its wings! I will change my mind if anyone can show me a pic of one of the alternatives that show this from a similar angle

Hello all,

I won't attempt these birds from these pictures
Bear in mind that Lesser Spotted Eagle is a very small Eagle. Smaller than Short-toed. (Seen them together in migration). Thus for at the picture of th eone with the Stork I think it's safe to rule out LSE. Now on wing shape LSE usualy shows an 'S' shaped curve to the wing feathers (which is usualy obvious when seen from the right angles...)eppe, Imperials and Greater Spotted do not and have rather chunchy rectangular wings. They are also huge birds. (So for the picture of the one with the Stork I'd go with Greater Spotted. Do they breed in Bulgaria?? They are decently common winter visitors to Greece).

On a final note Steppe Eagle should not be considered a vagrant to the Balcans. There's a small trickle of birds annualy.

Just my 2 cents,

Dimitris

Last edited:
The length of wings and fingers varies rather much in Lesser Spotted,
so this and the place can favor then adult LSE ?! Also the colour of head fits well to this, but it will be really difficult to rule out Steppe, which is still possible to see in the area...
see follow LSEs e.g.
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/linto/AquPom2a.jpg
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/upppe/aqupom3viro24.6.2006peteruppstu2.jpg
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/komi/aqu_pom_pk_la_01.jpg

rather long fingers:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/komi/Aqupom_Liet_ad_istuu5..jpg

There seems to be some hint of those whitish pattern in the carpal area (rigth wing), which perhaps refers also LSE?

I had memories from a previous tricky Aquila Eagle (GSE or hasata LSE/ISE) that the 7th primary shape was a useful feature for identifying LSE. It should be part of the trailing edge of the wing, whereas in larger eagles, the 7th PP should be part of the tip (fingered).

Not sure how reliable this is - but the mystery bird has the 7 fingers in both wings (taking into account the missing one in the left).

Attachments

• bf2.JPG
    bf2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 70
agree with del69 definitely not ravens.ravens are black !

del69 pic in post # 23:

In my mind, the size of the bird, the shape of the tip of tail (rigth bird), the colour of the bird, the length of wings, 6 fingers, etc all this match well to Raven...
Although there iare some sligthly paler areas in the wings, which is possible, when the question is so shiny black birds, which have really clear metal brilliance in their plumage.
e.g.
http://tarsiger.com/images/Bruun/cor_rax_0978.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back