• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Finch ? (1 Viewer)

Hi Kuwaity,

Yes it is a finch; I don't have any experience of the desert species so I'm not sure which, my best guess is one of the Rosefinches or perhaps Trumpeter Finch

Michael

It looks a lot like a female/immature Common Rosefinch to me, which I guess would migrate through Kuwait. I'm not sure whether there are any other Carpodacus species that are likely there.

Fifebirder said:
It looks a lot like a female/immature Common Rosefinch to me, which I guess would migrate through Kuwait. I'm not sure whether there are any other Carpodacus species that are likely there.
Hi Andrew,

A bit my thoughts too, but I thought a bit out of range, particularly for this time of year. No idea if Sinai Rosefinch gets to Kuwait.

Michael

Hi 'Kuwaity',
When was this photograph taken?I'd go for female/immature Common or Sinai Rosefinch,but not sure if the latter could be a possibility there(see above comment from BWP),and the former should surely be further north at this time of year(though seem to recall there being other subspecies of Common Rosefinch,and perhaps one of these is more sedentary in areas further south?).
Also,can't find a decent pic of female Sinai Rosefinch online,and can't remember what they look like off hand(never seen one myself)!
Harry

Just studied this to learn, and to try out my new Svensson guide, next to my trusty Heinzel (includes Kuwait) and Jonsson (names also in English).
FWIW my best guess is Desert Finch. Trumpeter shouldn't sit in trees, and have lighter beak and legs. Sinai Rosefinch is out of range, and shouldn't be able to get it's wing tip that close to it's tail tip. The wing pattern isn't right for desert, but then the wing is partially covered and that very pale spot has no place on trumpeter or sinai and could be a sign of more light parts covered. The side of the tail looks light toned too, also sign of desert finch.
Habitat is probably also more for desert finch. (not much rocks or mountains in Kuwait?)

Fifebirder said:
I'm pretty sure this isn't a Desert Finch. I think in all plumages that would show quite extensive pink, black and white on the wing.

Most of the wing is covered by flank feathers. And female Desert Finches have grey brownish tertial centres, not black like males. Juveniles have little pink according to the Heinzel guide, and there is some white on the shoulder edge and the white spot, probably on the medium covers, upper limit being the lesser covers (Sorry for my shaky bird topography names in English)
(Edit: and shaky bird topography in any language BTW, I'm not really an expert identifier)

They are also non migratory birds with a patchy distribution, and seem hard to pinpoint (they look different in every one of my three guides). So there may be some local differences. It also have the impression that kuwaity is presenting pics of a typical, but hard to indentify bird, not a rarity in Kuwait.

So my best armchair guess is still a desert finch, juvenile female.

Last edited:
Hi, This isn't a Desert Finch. Even a juvenile female shows some black in the Tertials, and whitish tail feathers, I have seen many first year females, they tend to show pale lores and never even a faint wingbar as this bird shows, the jizz is just wrong as well.
I can't say what the bird is, but I am fairly sure it is not a Desert finch. As for Sinai Rosefinch, well the range is from southern Israel and Sinai,s JOrdan, N Arabia, and there is a race in Afghanistan and east all the way to china. The wingbars on this bird and the white undertail fit Sinai Rosefinch, but the image is a bit hazy to determine exactly what is what, Good luck.

Common Rosefinch for sure.

Bill shape and colour. Both rule out Desert finches.
Thin upper wingbar a good clue that its not a Sinai Rosefinch.

Emphatically not Desert Finch.

Looks like a Common Rosefinch (defintely Carpodacus sp.).

Don't know the status in Kuwait but the last Emirates BR gives it as a scarce migrant and list records from August to April, so probbaly a good record for Kuwait.

Any more details from the photographer?

MikeP

was taked may 17th, 2004 ... taked in National park Sabiya - Tulha - .. north of Kuwait ..
thanks very much guys ...

check out Kuwait bird lists and anual report from our bird group ...
great effort by George Gregory .... our bird expert ... :)
http://www.bmapt.com/birdmap.php

Last edited:
17 May - that's right when I'd expect Common Rosefinch to be moving northwest from the wintering areas in India. They arrive in northern Europe about two weeks later than that.

Michael

kuwaity said:
was taked may 17th, 2004 ... taked in National park Sabiya - Tulha - .. north of Kuwait ..
thanks very much guys ...

check out Kuwait bird lists and anual report from our bird group ...
great effort by George Gregory .... our bird expert ... :)
http://www.bmapt.com/birdmap.php

Impressive bird list you have in Kuwait.
Of the species mentioned, status 2003 list:
Common Rosefinch: uncommon passage migrant
Desert finch : vagrant
Trumpeter finch: scarce disperser in all seasons
Sinai Rosefinch, or any other rosefinch are not mentioned

So the Common rosefinch is the most common, or least scarce, of these birds too, espescially mid May.

So good catch Kuwaity

Edit: PS. Found your gallery, great gallery, wonderfull pics

Last edited:
I have a CD with direct downloads of the original images. The bird is a Common Rosefinch, female or possibly second-year male. The species is annually recorded in Kuwait, mostly in Autumn.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back