• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a ring? (1 Viewer)

I think that it is just the light and shadow that gives that impression. The bird's belly is in shadow, and the area of the legs that appear to be rings are just in the sun. This makes them look lighter, similar to the bird's head.

Hi Mike,

Is this the raw picture or has it been passed though some AI "resolution enhancer" or similar?

These might be able to generate unexpected artifacts.

Regards,

Henning
Hi Henning,

yes it’s been DeNoised but that’s not going to add what looks like a ring on its leg.

Answered the question myself. I found some shots I'd rejected and found this one which doesn't appear to show a ring just the feathers above the bare part of the leg.

Gray Catbird 9.jpg

Hi Mike,

yes it’s been DeNoised but that’s not going to add what looks like a ring on its leg.

AI (neural network)-based filters are a whole new ballgame when it comes to image artifacts.

Try Craiyon, formerly DALL-E mini ... it's an AI that generates images based on descriptions.

Totally generic examples:

ringed bird 2.jpgringed bird.jpgringed bird 3.jpg

Now the trick with using neural-network based AIs is to generate images based on other images, adding only so little detail that it looks as if one just applied an usually effective traditional filter ... but neural networks aren't all that easy to rein in.

In the case of ringed/banded birds, there's also a very real chance that the training material used to teach the neural network is based on a picture set dominated by birds in captivity, which tend to be ringed a lot more often than birds living in their natural environment.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back