• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Scarce Chaser please? (Wilts, UK) (1 Viewer)

Charlie M

Hi All,

I took a photo of a (non-adult?) dragonfly a couple of days ago in a small woodland nature reserve in Wiltshire, and it's been puzzling me (I'm just a very casual dragonfly observer, so no surprise there really).

I've posted it on my homepage as I can't work out how to attach photos here (apologies for that) at http://www.charliesbirdblog.com

Thanks for any help

Charlie

well this getting a bit odd - I had an email saying it was definitely a Scarce Chaser...I guess I'll have to see how this pans out, but i would say that I know Broad-bodied well and it wasn't one of those, and it wasn't built like a skimmer....

well this getting a bit odd - I had an email saying it was definitely a Scarce Chaser...I guess I'll have to see how this pans out, but i would say that I know Broad-bodied well and it wasn't one of those, and it wasn't built like a skimmer....

Opps 3:)

Upon taking a closer look at the photograph - I'm unsure, agreed, it does look like a maturing male Scarce Chaser..... But no dark patches on wing tips?

Last edited:
Eek - sorry everyone but it is a Scarce Chaser and to cap it all I was photogrpahing loads of them at Woodwalton Fen on Monday - doh!!!

Hi Charlie

It's an immature male Scarce Chaser - just starting to get some blue on the abdomen and the eyes are changing colour from orange to blue.

It's a good pic for a teaser in that it looks like it's got antehumeral stripes as in BB Chaser.

Paul

Thanks everyone. Really didn't intend it to be a teaser - i don't know enough about dragonflies to be able to do that - but I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one who's had problems with it...

Approaching it systematically - having decided it's a Skimmer or Chaser then
(1) The dark wingbases make it a chaser
(2) The yellow wing veins make it Four-spotted or Scarce
(3) Lack of mid (nodal) wing spot makes it a Scarce

You could also use abdomen shape and colour - the orange can catch your eye at great distance..

There's a picture in Britain's Dragonflies (Smallshire and Wash) very similar to yours.

HTH

Paul

Thanks everyone. Really didn't intend it to be a teaser - i don't know enough about dragonflies to be able to do that - but I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one who's had problems with it...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back