• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is This Bird a Great Blue Heron or Other Species? [Philadelphia, USA - November] (1 Viewer)

mfrice

United States
Hi everyone, I pictured this heron in November the last year. It rested on a river in Philadelphia. I did some search and found it might be a Great Blue Heron. But the color looks very different from what I found on Google. It has a pale color ( or maybe the sun makes it look pale). Could you help me figure it out what heron (or egret or other bird) it is?
IMG-0017.jpg

Looks pale because it's overexposed.
This is another angle. There was a lot of sunshine. It might be a little bit overexposed, but I could tell it was not blue color. It was more like grey or white color. Is it a variation or winter plumage of the Great Blue Heron?

IMG-0016.jpg

That is definitely a Great Blue Heron. They can vary somewhat in coloration, and there's one population, I believe in Florida, that's mostly white. I think the sun may also be making this bird look paler than it is. However, Great Blue Herons aren't actually blue, at least not like a Blue Jay or Eastern Bluebird. They're a sort of light blue-gray color.

That is definitely a Great Blue Heron. They can vary somewhat in coloration, and there's one population, I believe in Florida, that's mostly white. I think the sun may also be making this bird look paler than it is. However, Great Blue Herons aren't actually blue, at least not like a Blue Jay or Eastern Bluebird. They're a sort of light blue-gray color.
Got it! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back