• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle Of May - Where Terns Attack! (1 Viewer)

SAFM

Hi everyone,

I went to the Isle of May today for a little day trip before going with Ross and Delia to Vane Farm tomorrow.

The crossing over to the Isle was quite calm although we still managed to pick up 4 folk throwing up, (brace yourself for July Brian) :t:

We did eventually get to the Isle off onto shore to be greeted by hundereds of pairs of Terns, I should say that they were quite defencive by their nests and so did peck at a few folk including myself (It would be an idea to take a hat in July Brian) I did manage to get a few pics of one Tern, if anyone could Id what one it was, The Warden on the Island said that the Artic, Common and Sandwich terns breeded on the island that would be great.

On we went (now out of the Terns breeding grounds, so safe for now) the first thing we noticed after that was thousands of pairs of Puffins (The warden said that there was 68,000 pairs on the Island, also that there were 500,000 birds on the island) A few pics below. I have to say that we did not get as close to the puffins as we did on Staffa. Put the shear number of them was astonding.

We walked on and found rather large rabbits (again see pics somewhere) I think that that was the biggest surprise of the day!

We did eventually reach the cliffs which without a doubt contained thousands of razorbills, Puffins and gulls, I was again surprise at how tame the Razorbills were. I got my fav photo of the day here, the Razorbill flying in midair. On the way back to the picnic area we came across the first female Eider Duck sitting on her eggs, pic below.

We then sat down and had our lunch.

I will tell you about the second half of the island adventure later - with more pics!

Scott

Attachments

• A1.jpeg
    A1.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 34
  • A2.jpeg
    A2.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 28
  • A4.jpeg
    A4.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 31
  • A6.jpeg
    A6.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 37
Wow Scott, what amazing photos, I cannot pick a favourite they are all so good. :clap: :clap:

Sounds a brilliant day, I am waiting for the next episode !!!

Oooh Scott - I'm so jealous. May is wonderful isn't it.

I think the Tern may be Arctic - all red bill - can't promise them tomorrow though! LOL

D

Hi Scott

Pics are ace!!! This all sounds very good to me.........................however

'throwing up' 'brace yourself' 'attacks from Terns' :eek!: No one mentioned this to me!!! I shall have to look for a suitable 'cool' hat. As a Tern bill protector, not to throw up in, I hope.

I am looking forward to part two. Of course I am green yet again o:D I must learn how to control this as the face does not match my white wings.

Wheres 'me' sea sickness pills, I have come over all giddy.

I reckon Delia is correct about the Arctic Tern.

Enjoy Vane Farm. Speak soon.

Hi Scott.

What a good set of photos! I think you've caught the Razorbill brilliantly. Your mention of the pecking Terns brings to mind a trip I made to the Farnes a few years ago. We were forewarned about the dive-bombing birds so I wore a cap. Some good that did, about as useful as a chocolate teapot. One attack led to the bill going through my hat and drawing blood from my scalp. It didn't help matters when my pal said, " I thought they were Terns not Woodpeckers." So much for friendship. LOL!! The warden had the right idea; he was wearing a baseball cap lined with half a plastic football.

All the best.
Baz.

The tern, defently artic, the bill is dark red and theres no sgin of black on the tip.

As for the rest of the thread, Ican only agree with what others have said.
Ant
ps, remind me to pack my hard hat when i go to an offshore tern colony.

Baseball cap lined with half a plastic football! LOL! What a good idea.

Lovely pictures, Scott, the second one is definitely my favourite. Look forward to hearing about the rest of the trip, and hope you enjoy your day today.

Well here is part two as promised.

Where was I, ah yes Lunch,

After lunch we had a challenge to overcome, the path that took us over to the next part of the island was, shall we say, well guarded by nesting Terns, they can give a right hard peck, we did get through the Terns eventually and a few pics to show for it.

A quite spell of walking before we got to another cliff with more, yes more, nesting razorbills and Gulls, and of course more pics. As well as all of that, I got fantastic views of a pair of Shags by there nests.

More Puffins, the closest we got to them on the Isle of May, was actually quite close, about 3 metres, but they can not beat the ones on staffa, under a metre. 3:)

We then walked up (and down) the last part of the Island and thousands more razorbills and plenty more gulls as well. One of the gulls nest was very close to the path and when we went past it we we given a beak full of abuse 3:) and again they attempted (but failed) to peck us on the head.

We spotted the very small Loch in the centre of the island and in it were plenty of Male Eider ducks (the spieces I had really been wanting to photograph all day - I got one but I will need to post it on another post as I have the maximum on this one)

On to the boat (passing through the welcoming Terns :D , I have to say that the three hours we had on the Island felt like nothing, I am looking forward to returning with Brian in July.

As you say Brian We did see seals, As we left the cove that we had come in we saw a seal quite close to us, got a good pic of him (or her), and we passed a group of seals basking in the sun on rocks (pics of that as well)

What A journey back we had, just as we were about to clear the Island the Skipper of the boat said "get yourself wedged in somewhere, this is going to be a might rough crossing", so wedged in we got, and when we did clear the Island, he was not wrong is was very rough and up and down the waves we went (quite an adventure) What do you think about that now then Brian?? 3:)

Bird list and more pics coming up

Scott

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19
Good God! I had just gotten over my last giddy turn, or should that be tern? Now your talking about wedging ones self in!!! I feel proper poorly already. I thought you said it was calm before!!! Dont worry I shall be brave. I'm a Geordie you know! I shall be at my Capt Pugwash best. Just a sec....................................just taking a pill. :eat: ;)

Sounds really good Scott. Especiallythe seals. Seabird colonies are fantastic. I cant wait, but will have to, for my visit in July. Great reports and great pics Scott, have me getting very excited. Mind you I expect your gonna protect me from seabird attacks. Do I need armour as well as as hat? In fact the way you describe it a steel helmet may be the order of the day. I do not wish to have an Arctic Tern stuck in 'me' head!!! ;)

Take care.
Counting down to BSM day :t: Nah, I'm not gonna tell you all wot that means! If anyone works it out I will send them a drink.

Great report Scott and I just love that Razorbill. You never seem to get long enough on the island, do you? It's just great there.

Brian said:
Counting down to BSM day
Brian's Scottish Moments - do I get then drink then pleeeease? :king:

D o:)

delia todd said:
Great report Scott and I just love that Razorbill. You never seem to get long enough on the island, do you? It's just great there.

Brian's Scottish Moments - do I get then drink then pleeeease? :king:

D o:)

Sorry, not correct. Thought I better let everyone know as I guess you are all glued to this wondering. Sorry to interupt your thread Scott. I will get off ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back